render help with photo

I can't figure out how to do this and ask for help ..... I have a photo of a hallway and I want to show different flooring in the photo. When I draw the 3D floor and render it in perspective (from the same camera viewpoint as the photo) the photo (which is on a different layer) disappears. I want to show an image where my new floor is overlaid on top of the photo to show the new floor with the old walls/ceiling. I figure this ought to be easy for someone who knows what they're doing. Help please.....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The easiest way will most likely be to place the image on a sheet layer, then create a cropped viewport of the floor, also on that same sheet layer.

You can alter the crop to essentially trace the 3D floor object, then place that cropped viewport overtop the image, aligned as needed.

Thanks for the mention Peter. :-)

CameraMatch is certainly the best way to do this (in my slightly biased opinion).

CameraMatch now has a 10 day free trial period and a new tutorial video (with companion files to follow along in Vectorworks). I think following along with the tutorial will considerably reduce the learning curve:

http://www.panzercad.com/panzercad-products/cameramatch/cameramatch-2013-workflow-tutorial/

You may want to try creating a Render Background out of the photo image and set that for the design layer Render Background. The trick is trying to manipulate the camera view to get the perspective to match. It can be done manually, but it can be a tedious process. The last time I did it that way was when I decided to develop CamerMatch.

You may want to try the 10 day trial of CameraMatch. After the trial mode expires, certain things will no longer function (setting & tuning views, masking, shadows, etc), but the view in the sheet layer viewport, and the viewport's render background will remain in tact. So, as long as you already have the view setup within the trial period, you should be good to go.