SP3 3DConnexion in & out still not working

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Working here as expected either in Walkthrough mode or in a perspective projection, but I'm testing on Win8.1 and OS X 10.9.2 on Vectorworks 2014 SP3. I'll try to grab a 10.7 machine to test, (since the drivers will be different.)

Does it not move as you expect in that projection? Or are you in Orthagonal and its functioning as the flyover tool?

On top of this, I have to ask why would you ever want it to work differently than it does in walkthrough mode? Its a specialty tool for working in 3d. In every other program that's all it does all the time. In VW it only works properly when a specific "tool" is selected. It sort of defeats the purpose of having it. It should separate the need for a "tool" from the desire to navigate properly in 3d. Especially since VW can't default to perspective or walkthrough in a viewport.... If I wanted to scroll or flyover wouldn't I use the mouse in my other hand?

KM

I lied, something is up on OS X, it is being jittery.

As to why you would want it to work like flyover, I am not sure. A lot of users ONLY wanted it to work like the flyover tool does and wanted to disable the walkthrough mode implementation. This may have been how it was implemented to deal with both needs.

However I can think of a few better ways, such as a VW preference for the default the tool behaves in regardless of projection. Will look at those more closely once I find out why its behaving incorrectly overall on OS X.

Think I got it working again on OS X. I don't know why ANY tweaking is required, but I'll tackle that issue after I post this for anyone else having trouble at the moment:

1) Close Vectorworks.

2) Installed Plugins in the 3DConnexion interface (Apple > System Preferences > 3DConnexion) since I hadn't done so since Vectorworks 2014 SP1.

3) At the top, selected Vectorworks 2014 as the application to modify in the 3Dconnexion and set the mappings as they are in the attached image here:

[img:center]http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10448&filename=Screen%20Shot%202014-04-01%20at%2010.54.27%20AM.png[/img]

(You should be able to download my saved configuration HERE as well.)

4) Launch Vectorworks 2014.

5) Fly like an eagle over the countryside.

For now I made my mappings match the default behavior seen on Windows. On the Windows flavor of the 3DConnexion control panel I don't seem to have the same mapping controls as are available on OS X. Will look into why they are different.

They should be the same behavior on both OSes and not require any altering of the defaults in order to work as expected.

Edited by JimW

I checked and apparently this issue stems from the SpaceNavigator having different control inputs on Os X, depending upon which version of OS X the user is running.

For instance, OS X 10.7, 10.8 and 10.8 all receive different commands from the 3DConnexion devices by default, even though the mapping options remain the same.

I will see if anything can be done to change how Vectorworks maps these inputs by default based on which OS the user is on to prevent the need for these manual tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've been in touch with 3DConnexion and am trying to get their Product Team to get in touch with you Jim.

Since it sounds like some fairly minor things to sort out, it would be great to get VW back on their currently tested and supported list, for both companies I think.

-Neil

Thank you!

I really do love using it after its been configured. But the above posts are right, the initial experience of a user plugging it in is a major factor. If it doesn't work out of the box, people are likely to never fix/enjoy it.

Jim,

I tried your settings and even tried with downloading your installed configuration file for the mouse but have not had any luck getting it to work as you do in the youtube video above. I can only get the Spacemouse to spin CW/CCW and tilt backward / forward. Sliding the puck and moving up and down have no response. I have downloaded the March 25 driver from their website and installed the plugins. I am running 10.9.2 and VW 2014 SP3.

Any other advice? it looks like this worked for the OP with their setup on 10.7.5

Cheers,

Rob

• 1 month later...

JimW, Might you have any advice on how to get the left button of a Spacemouse to map to something other than scrolling through: "Using 2D navigation", "Using walkthrough navigation", "Using flyover navigation" and "Using unconstrained walkthrough navigation"?

In System Preferences I have mapped the left button to a tool, and have even tried mapping it to the RM Views radial menu, but Vectorworks insists on scrolling through the above navigation modes (even after a restart of both Vectorworks and my Mac).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Neil, I was able to program my Spacemouse to shift+c on one button (3D navigate) and it made VW very angry, thinking for multiple seconds only to then require using a standard mouse to orbit around. I've given up on trying to program a button, for now.

I cannot seem to orbit and zoom simultaneously, however. I need to click the 3D left button to switch from 3D navigation (twisting around) to 2D (zooming and panning). I've reset my buttons to 3D mouse defaults and this was the result.

Suggestions on how to zoom and orbit simultaneously or how to successfully use the programmable buttons in VW?

Jim, your posts give me hope that you've got a solution for me! Thank you for your help!

Carol

VW Architect 2014 SP3 w/ Renderworks

iMac 27" OSX 10.7.5

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDDR3

Currently there is no way to do the orbiting and zooming at the same time with the device, it only allows one more or the other at a time zooming in walkthrough mode and orbit in flyover mode. There is a larger project in the works for alternative methods of 3D viewing/camera control but I have not seen an ETA for them yet, or how much they will involve the device specifically.

Its been posted in a number of ways on the forums here for the separation of methods of view control/camera movement and actual Tools. Currently the movement are all tools the same as Selection or the Door tool, so you cant have control of the view DURING object editing, which would be superior in my opinion.

Edited by JimW