Viewport size

This is a very basic question, but I couldn't find the answer in F1 and a quick search of these forums produced 80 pages of results, so here goes...

I'm using VW2012 on a PC and can't figure out how to change the size of a viewport in a sheet layer. I need to produce a print out on 8.5"x11" paper. I can create a viewport on the sheet layer and crop it to include the part of the drawing that I need, but the viewport is larger than the 8.5"x11" paper. I can't select the viewport and interactively re-size it to the right size; I have to go to Object Info and select a custom scale (1:70) to make it the right size. What should I be doing?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That is pretty much correct.

Once you get the crop you want including the geometry you are looking for, you can adjust the viewport's scale in the viewports Object Info Palette until it fits on the page area you are printing to, then you can orient/align the viewport with your title block within that page area.

If you want to 'interactively' scale a Viewport (and don't care about its measurable scale) you can Group it; this allows you to grab the blue handles and stretch as desired (assuming interactive scaling mode of the selection tool is on). You can then ungroup your Viewport when it's at the size you like.

This is very useful for perspective views and renderings when actual scale isn't important.

Hope this helps!

Another method:

Select the VP, then Modify>Scale Objects with Scale text enabled.

This scales text size and position in the VP annotations

Objects in the VP Annotation layer are affected differently by the rescale methods.

?Text rescales with Modify>Scale Objects, but not with OIP rescale (Why??) or with Group> Interactive Rescale.

?Markers do not rescale with any of these methods.

?Drawing label does not rescale with any of these methods

?The Scale field in a Drawing Label updates to new scale with any method of rescale.

VP Advanced Properties dialog offers scale factor for lines, markers and text. But this only affects display of design layer objects shown in the VP (Doesn't alter the DL objects, just displays them to new scale in the VP).

Anyway, it's best to scale the VP to final size, then add annotations.

-B