Double-line Polygon Curves

VincentCuclair

Question

17 answers to this question

OK a couple more things here:

1. When creating a double-line poly with several components I would like to be able to edit the ploys as a single entity with only single handles just like in walls, i.e. if I have a complex poly with many components it is very tedious to have to change each individual component (the reshape tool doesn't do the trick sufficiently).

2. I would like to save different double-line poly setups just like wall styles

3. Why on earth does the component dialog in double-line polys show wall top and bottom offset options?????? Talk about a slip of the programming fingers, did they copy the wall component dialog and forget to remove that section? The dialog is even called Wall Component Attributes :grin:

Perhaps the double-line poly should be a 2D mode in the wall tool instead with the added functionality of being able to be used on all planes and 3D space, this would solve all the above wishes and make VWs slightly simpler and more streamlined.

Edited by Vincent C
OK a couple more things here:

1. When creating a double-line poly with several components I would like to be able to edit the ploys as a single entity with only single handles just like in walls, i.e. if I have a complex poly with many components it is very tedious to have to change each individual component (the reshape tool doesn't do the trick sufficiently).

2. I would like to save different double-line poly setups just like wall styles

3. Why on earth does the component dialog in double-line ploys show wall top and bottom offset options?????? Talk about a slip of the programming fingers, did they copy the wall component dialog and forget to remove that section? The dialog is even called Wall Component Attributes :grin:

Perhaps the double-line poly should be a 2D mode in the wall tool instead with the added functionality of being able to be used on all planes and 3D space, this would solve all the above wishes and make VWs slightly simpler and more streamlined.

Shows how bad things are implemented and how bad some choices are. Re-using code is one thing, but doing it all wrong....

OK guys/gals here's a little tip that came from our friend and VWs guru Petri, a script that does some of the wished for above and I quote:

"http://www.vectordepot.com/plug-ins/

Doubles

Unfortunately, at last testing, the result was not entirely accurate: the VectorScript/SDK function it uses is far from perfect. Well, it is VW after all?

But for most practical purposes the object is good enough. I use the same function in many plug-ins."

Edited by Vincent C

Shows how bad things are implemented and how bad some choices are. Re-using code is one thing, but doing it all wrong....

I don't think we should be that hard on them (though it is frustrating) I think it is proof of the (time) pressure they are under to deliver too much too soon. 'Not a good excuse but a probable reason btw'.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I used to joke about some people still using the Double Line tool instead of Walls... but apparently it isn't such a joke after all.

Submitting the double-line poly either have the capabilities of the polygon/polyline tool, or that it be rolled into one of those other tools as a separate mode itself.

(However, it is most likely they left that in there when they added components to the Double Line tool, I don't know WHY that would have been done but apparently it was made to enhance the capabilities of Fundamentals specifically.)

Edited by JimW

Well I can understand that Jim and my use for it is rather strange but is born out of necessity due to the deficiencies in the wall recess function.

Basically I'm doing a building inspired by dreamline modern and need to have a large number of colored grooves spread out all over the facades representing grooves in precast concrete facade elements, many stretching around corners of walls, others across windows and doors.

Wall recesses would have been the perfect solution was it not for the fact that the wall recess tool doesn't support recesses around corners of walls (or even on edges for that matter) and sporadically plays havoc in Top/plan view with my windows and doors, I was looking for an alternative 2D visual solution (considering that i need to experiment a lot and editing would take a huge amount of time if I modelled it all in 3D). So my idea was to create a Double line poly with components that represent the groove color and shadows, which I could then easily draw 'on to' my outerwalls and when necessary quickly adjust.

So if you get the wall recess function fixed and a lot more user friendly and stable you can forget about the double line poly tool ;)

Edited by Vincent C
Well I can understand that Jim and my use for it is rather strange but is born out of necessity due to the deficiencies in the wall recess function.

Basically I'm doing a building inspired by dreamline modern and need to have a large number of colored grooves spread out all over the facades representing grooves in precast concrete facade elements, many stretching around corners of walls, others across windows and doors.

Wall recesses would have been the perfect solution was it not for the fact that the wall recess tool doesn't support recesses around corners of walls (or even on edges for that matter) and sporadically plays havoc in Top/plan view with my windows and doors, I was looking for an alternative 2D visual solution (considering that i need to experiment a lot and editing would take a huge amount of time if I modelled it all in 3D). So my idea was to create a Double line poly with components that represent the groove color and shadows, which I could then easily draw 'on to' my outerwalls and when necessary quickly adjust.

So if you get the wall recess function fixed and a lot more user friendly and stable you can forget about the double line poly tool ;)

Can't you use a tile fill? I think it will be quicker, unless it's different for every wall...

I don't think we should be that hard on them (though it is frustrating) I think it is proof of the (time) pressure they are under to deliver too much too soon. 'Not a good excuse but a probable reason btw'.

The thing that's frustrating me about such things is that they are never solved in later versions. They put something in, half-done or 'completely' wrong, and then go on, never to finish it. There are a lot of things in VW, like wall recess, ... I think it would be far better to implement the basics first and add in later versions.

The thing that's frustrating me about such things is that they are never solved in later versions. They put something in, half-done or 'completely' wrong, and then go on, never to finish it. There are a lot of things in VW, like wall recess, ... I think it would be far better to implement the basics first and add in later versions.

Agreed.

One of the main reasons I am here is to stop this from happening. I have seen many excellent features come in either half complete or limited in their functionality and fall by the wayside when they should be some of our best tools.

Agreed.

One of the main reasons I am here is to stop this from happening. I have seen many excellent features come in either half complete or limited in their functionality and fall by the wayside when they should be some of our best tools.

Glad to hear there was a wake-up call. Maybe we will see better implementations and some tools finally finish in the next version(s).

Hi,

Without creating new topic, I thought I will ask here about double line polygon tool. Is there is way to stop it creating overall thickness polygon?

If I have 2 components 1. - 120mm thickness 2. - 30 mm. And when I draw this polygon I get 3 different polygons: 120, 30 and 150mm polygons. Is there a way to stop it doing ?

Hi,

Without creating new topic, I thought I will ask here about double line polygon tool. Is there is way to stop it creating overall thickness polygon?

If I have 2 components 1. - 120mm thickness 2. - 30 mm. And when I draw this polygon I get 3 different polygons: 120, 30 and 150mm polygons. Is there a way to stop it doing ?

I see what you mean, I had not noticed this before.

Not any method of stopping it currently that I am aware of, but submitting a request that it become a toggle-able option now.