Increased efficiency with less clicks:

VincentCuclair

Question

Please add this to the list, instead of having the flip buttons in the OIP dialog it would be even more efficient to have an option by the door. see image.

At the moment the workflow is this:

1. Select door

2. move cursor to OIP flip

3. deselect door, select new door

4. move cursor to OIP flip etc

That's a lot of cursor/mouse movement all over the screen (especially on a 27" screen), if the flip options are at the door all these cursor/mouse movements are eliminated.

Pretty please with cherries on top.......

(Obviously this could apply for most PIOs with this type of option ie. wall Reverse Sides, stairs left ->right hand, symbols, etc just off the top off my head.)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10668&filename=Flip%20Door.png

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That particular problem (Publish making you always manually select the same last used set over and over) should be fixed soon.

Submitting request for flip button UI for doors/windows.

Anyone reading: What other types of objects do you feel would benefit from this?

Well, if you successfully Split an object in Line Split mode, both halves remain selected, so to delete one you need to:

Shift click the keeper, then press delete (move hand from mouse, then back to mouse). Assumes right hand mouse control.

Or click empty to deselect both halves, click again to reselect the deletee (is that a word?), press delete w/ associated hand to mouse movements. Alas, poor Vectorworkers. Living hand to mouse.

Or start by realizing that the tool needs to change modes, press the U key until the Line Trim mode is enabled. I'm usually focused on mid screen, holding the option key to limit split to selection and controlling split direction - Modes are not on my mind.

Vincent's arrows appearing temporarily near the object after Line Split would eliminate need for Line Trim mode. (Or could eliminate the LIne Split mode if a click or gesture could preserve both halves)

A Deselect All key stroke or command could help, too.

-B

This seems kind of related...

For Callouts, I always find myself wanting to hit 'Enter' when I'm finished typing the text into the dialogue box. But since 'Enter' is a carriage return to the next line (as it should be), I need to manually move my mouse to the 'Ok' button and click. It's a small thing but it adds up.

So it would be nice if there were a way to complete the callout via the keyboard only, such as 'Shift-Enter' for example.

This seems kind of related...

For Callouts, I always find myself wanting to hit 'Enter' when I'm finished typing the text into the dialogue box. But since 'Enter' is a carriage return to the next line (as it should be), I need to manually move my mouse to the 'Ok' button and click. It's a small thing but it adds up.

So it would be nice if there were a way to complete the callout via the keyboard only, such as 'Shift-Enter' for example.

If it were a keyboard command it should probably be ESC, which is used to exit text objects and various other things. Consistency is another thing that needs to be improved in VW.

Kevin

I'll add my request here again for the "global popup" function that C4d has.

At any time, the user can press the V key, and a circle of menus, commands etc, all customizable by the user, pops up around the cursor. Mouse movement is minimized as well as the need to be looking all over the place on the screen.

Something like this would be very useful for VW. VW is very inefficient for the user.

I would love to see an interactive stair object.

It is no secret that the stair tool is not so good. Even with the custom stair tool - i hate having to go into the settings - then bounce back to the plan to see the implications. We need some way to fluidly and interactively draw and modify our stair objects.

Though I have not used it much - I think the Revit way of creating stairs is much better. Even the chief architect custom stair tool looks better:

Attached is a SUPER quick and not particularly well thought out mock-up - but I think it is in the direction that Vectorworks needs to go. Less dialog settings boxes - more interactive control.

Edited by Tom Klaber

There is a thing coming that will work pretty much like you describe, not specifically for stairs, I mean more of a direct-edit UI that lets you modify an object "directly" by grabbing portions of it and moving them rather than having to control it solely from the OIP.

I think they are going to see how this is received by the user base, then its entirely possible you will see a lot more direct modeling come to Vectorworks.

(I am genuinely sorry that I can not be more specific, but just wanted to let you know that that sort of UI is indeed being tested here and may come to pass.)

Also: The forums totally need a "Like" button. I constantly twitch towards ones only to remember it doesn't exist. Forum upgrade in general is in the works, but no ETAs yet.

Another one here to reduce mousing across the screen:

Reverse Sides for walls button.

The current work flow = select wall>move to OIP>click reverse sides>move back to wall and continue drafting.

New workflow = select wall>click reverse button>continue drafting.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10819&filename=Wall%20reverse.png

Edited by Vincent C
Another one here to reduce mousing across the screen:

Reverse Sides for walls button.

The current work flow = select wall>move to OIP>click reverse sides>move back to wall and continue drafting.

New workflow = select wall>click reverse button>continue drafting.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10819&filename=Wall%20reverse.png

Better Work flow = select wall > hit shortcut key > continue drafting (with the ability to press the shortcut key while drafting to reverse wall sides)

Better Work flow = select wall > hit shortcut key > continue drafting (with the ability to press the shortcut key while drafting to reverse wall sides)

Obviously that option should be added too (But it wouldn't be my choice of workflow, I wouldn't want to move my eyes from the screen to find the shortcut key(s)......but that's a question of taste.....)

Edited by Vincent C
Please add this to the list, instead of having the flip buttons in the OIP dialog it would be even more efficient to have an option by the door. see image.

(Obviously this could apply for most PIOs with this type of option ie. wall Reverse Sides, stairs left ->right hand, symbols, etc just off the top off my head.)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10668&filename=Flip%20Door.png

Even more slick would be a handle on the leaf somewhere, drag this and a ghost of the door flips around like it does when placing in a wall for the first time......this would be more in line with the way the tool currently works. (Make sure we don't need to click the door first......the handle appears when we hover the leaf/door, this reduces amount of clicks even more.

Edited by Vincent C

OK here's another one:

I don't really understand why we need to go into the scroll down list to choose Custom Scale for VPs, seems to be quite a round about way without a reason......or is it just me?

I would much prefer to just have the custom scale input box active from the start.

I assume it was done to avoid accidentally changing the scale however that seems a little strange considering that fact that all input in the OIP is active from the start and prone to change, why is only this greyed?

At the very least just add a little check box beside it to activate it, this way we don't have to go through the whole list to find 'custom'.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10983&filename=Scale.png

Edited by Vincent C
Please add this to the list, instead of having the flip buttons in the OIP dialog it would be even more efficient to have an option by the door.

I submitted this some time ago, I believe it was from this thread but I must not have remembered to post here. In any case, Request submitted.

I don't really understand why we need to go into the scroll down list to choose Custom Scale for VPs, seems to be quite a round about way without a reason......or is it just me?

I would much prefer to just have the custom scale input box active from the start.

I assume it was done to avoid accidentally changing the scale however that seems a little strange considering that fact that all input in the OIP is active from the sat art and prone to change, why is only this greyed? At the very least just add a little check box beside it to activate it, this way we don't have to go through the whole list to find 'custom scale'.

Agreed, it seems like a toggle radio button or checkbox to choose between picking a scale and a custom scale would make more sense, since it is an either/or situation. Submitting request now.