SP3

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
They just have to throw more people at it. Simple as that. Or sell it to someone who will take it into the 21st century.

Jim, has there been a sudden influx of staff hiring's since Sean and Viktor were elevated onto the Executive Board?

Your comments would seem to suggest it's business as usual, peddling hard and getting nowhere fast.

I can't get super specific for the usual reasons, but management are bending over backwards currently to bring new software engineers on board.

I've personally seen that management feels (at least in the last two years or so) that more engineering staff are required, both to keep up and get ahead, and they have started ramping up their hiring processes to accommodate this.

That said, if you know any excellent ones looking for work, point them our way:

http://www.vectorworks.net/company/careers.php

However, the nationality of the programmers is irrelevant.

You're right: it's their competence, the absence of which, given the annual demonstration of NV's programming team's inability to out even minimally usable releases (0 for 14 years and counting), and incapable of releasing service packs that don't introduce multiple new bugs for every bug that the SPs supposedly fixed, has been amply demonstrated.

However, the nationality of the programmers is irrelevant.

You're right: it's their competence, the absence of which, given the annual demonstration of NV's programming team's inability to out even minimally usable releases (0 for 14 years and counting), and incapable of releasing service packs that don't introduce multiple new bugs for every bug that the SPs supposedly fixed, has been amply demonstrated.

What specifically would you like to see in the application? I can help you get your wants and needs addressed if you can give me specific areas that you feel need attention or a specific component that is broken.

If there are many (and I completely admit there are) then they still need to be itemized and taken apart piece by piece until we find the problem and get a solution in play.

However to be clear, you are certainly not wrong. There are many problems that need addressing to make this software package the winner it CAN be. That is why I come here, I don't want history to keep repeating itself.

I don?t envy the roll you?ve taken on Jim. I think your presence and straight talking is generally perceived as a sign that something fundamental has changed up the chain and on that count I want to believe, but . . .

What specifically would you like to see in the application?

I?ll take a stab at that, a growth path with a BIM future!

Two biggies:

Revenue: The question above, about new hires, was asking if past policies are being changed by the new Executive Board? Unfortunately Tanja Tamara Dreilich, in her eagerness to appease investment banks, was ?super specific? last year about the policy hurdle used to starve Vectorworks of resources or, more accurately, syphon revenue back to Allplan?s integrated acquisitions. We?re aware Vectorworks has been getting to make new hires over recent years and I?m very glad to hear that?s still happening, but is it just the result of carefully staging the VSS rollout to heave Vectorworks over NAG?s policy hurdle, or has policy changed? At some point the advanced revenue pulled in by VSS?s rollout timing will be finished, then what?

BIM Partnerships: The freedom to form BIM partnerships. IFC is a necessity, but it?s a blank sheet for manual input. BIM partnerships, however, should have a multiplier effect. Wouldn't the BIM intelligence of Vectorworks be accelerated by the knowledge shared through partnering and integrating with other BIM applications? And wouldn't the knowledge exchange and development that has to occur between integrated BIM partners build the software?s intelligence for IFC as well? The IFC only policy, on the other hand, appears to condemn Vectorworks to an isolationist?s desert island, where everything will forever be built out of bamboo and coconuts.

Edited by M5d

I will preface this post by saying, 1) I am not privy to the direct answers to most of those questions. Especially long term plans involving BIM standards. 2) The view from where I am in the company is limited. I can see clearly any aspects of Tech Support or Customer Service, a good bit into Engineering and QA, but upper management and their plans are pretty much out of my radar range.

I will do my best to address the few questions in your post that I am able to.

I see and hear a lot of speculation about changes in NAG affecting us (Nemetschek Vectorworks) directly, perhaps because these changes in CEOs and large partnerships are far more publicly announced than others, but the large majority of those changes do not affect us directly on a day to day basis.

Our management makes decisions of their own accord, with very little specific instruction on policy from above. Our financial performance has been solid-to-excellent for the last few years and I have never seen evidence that we are being shoved or pulled in a specific direction because of anything Allplan does. Mostly NAG seem pleased with how well VSS is going and our growth.

As far as picking only IFC goes, on average internal talks here seem to favor adopting as many standards as possible to increase the flexibility of the application. Most of the decisions made on what goes in to Vectorworks itself tilt to the side of inclusion and diversity, giving users many options and multiple ways of accomplishing the same goal.

Again, these are all my personal observations, NOT direct statements from the company or official standings, and I apologize for being so vague. I am not a part of the meetings that determine our course and speed on a grand scale, much of my work is VERY specialized. It isn't that I don't care about what happens, just that I can only affect the area immediately around me.