SP3

Please give me 64bit multi-process-everything VW before September...I am tippy toeing around in my VW models afraid and trying to hide from the dreaded "out of memory" pop up message or worse when VW just shuts down.

Please take your cloud-boys dev team and put them on the meat and potatoes team.

Edited by Fritsch
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Please give me 64bit multi-process-everything VW before September...I am tippy toeing around in my VW models afraid and trying to hide from the dreaded "out of memory" pop up message or worse when VW just shuts down.

I am positive it wont happen before September. Changes like that are massive and not something you can bolt on to an existing software package. Many of the base components are having to be rewritten from scratch.

I personally feel that 64bit and multithreading are more of a priority than some of the other projects going on (as you do), but unfortunately it isn't something I have direct control over.

I'm in the process now of porting over to Windows 7 (from my aging imac). It's actually been a liberating process for a number of reasons.

As I've mentioned before, I'm watching with interest at what Autodesk will offer with LT 2015.

Thing is, based on prior history, it seems to take a year for new versions to become stable. Look at VW2014 for example.

I won't be parting with any of my dollars to Nemetschek anytime soon.

Please give me 64bit multi-process-everything VW before September...

+1

I had project with massive landscaping for 32 hectares and modeling and positioning objects at it... loose more time with vw...sad time.

I also started work with cadline archilinexp 2014 version, it has support x64 architecture and 2 different viewport handling - openGL and directx. I combine my work in sketchup and archiline(it has direct export to skp format and cleaning features for making of low poly).

Currently have positive using of such pipeline.

Edited by Ilay

I am positive it wont happen before September. Changes like that are massive and not something you can bolt on to an existing software package. Many of the base components are having to be rewritten from scratch.

Sorry, but that excuse doesn't fly any more.

OS X added 64-bit support in 2003 and has been fully 64-bit-compliant since 2007, Windows XP added 64-bit support in 2001, and Windows has been 64-bit since Vista (2006), so Nemetschek has had over 10 years to rewrite the base components: more than ample time for even a moderately competent programming team to do the job. (Hell, I'll bet a team of a dozen Baltic, Russian, Indian, or Chinese programmers could pump out a STABLE 64-bit version of 2014 in under a year).

It's time to piss or get off the pot, Nemetschek: either make it a priority and get it done, or admit you never intended to do it in the first place.

Thing is, based on prior history, it seems to take a year for new versions to become stable.

At which point Nemetschek promptly abandons them and expects us to fork over another wad of cash for the "privilege" of beta-testing their new bug-infested crash monster.

I won't be parting with any of my dollars to Nemetschek anytime soon.

After the disaster that was VW 2013, we decided not to send any more dollars to Nemetschek until they released a STABLE 64-bit version, which, at the rate they're going, will probably be 12-15 years after the rest of the world has moved to 128-bit computing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry, but that excuse doesn't fly any more.

OS X added 64-bit support in 2003 and has been fully 64-bit-compliant since 2007, Windows XP added 64-bit support in 2001, and Windows has been 64-bit since Vista (2006), so Nemetschek has had over 10 years to rewrite the base components: more than ample time for even a moderately competent programming team to do the job. (Hell, I'll bet a team of a dozen Baltic, Russian, Indian, or Chinese programmers could pump out a STABLE 64-bit version of 2014 in under a year).

Agreed. Was only explaining why it won't be in a service pack rather than in a full release.I feel its long overdue as well.

However, the nationality of the programmers is irrelevant.

My 2 cents , don't add any new features for a year, just fix what we got. In other words no VW 2015, nothing new till 2016.

+1

I've been saying that VW needs a snow leopard release for years now.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6/

I still think that snow leopard was the best OS apple has ever made. I was very sorry to have to leave it behind in the name of "progress."

VW could sorely use a year dedicated to fixing what's broken and tightening everything up.

Problem with that approach is that we'd get even further behind...

We've been talking mainly of adding 64 bit compatibility, not to mention fixing up existing PIO's and adding new features that have been long requested.

They just have to throw more people at it. Simple as that. Or sell it to someone who will take it into the 21st century.

They just have to throw more people at it. Simple as that. Or sell it to someone who will take it into the 21st century.

Yep, that?s it, but they won't sell it and it?s no accident that Vectorworks has been run into the ground. All that discussion about Open BIM in another thread wasn?t so much about the illegalities of Nemetschek?s Open BIM scheme as it was about the desperate measures they've resorted to in order to maintain the Supervisory Board's divided development paths. We're a year into buildingSMART?s opposition now, with an invalidated trademark and no external partners and they?re still advertising the scheme. Tekla / Trimble, the only listed Open BIM partner, now links their Open BIM page back to buildingSMART and makes no reference to Nemetscheck?s scheme, conditions or dead trademark.

All Nemetschek's proprietary-Open BIM is now, is an indication that the policies responsible for a resource-starved Vectorworks remain in place. While Sean Flaherty and Viktor V?rkonyi were members of the corporate strategic committee, they would have been the principle antagonists to the Supervisory Board's divided policy settings. Now that they've been elevated onto the Executive Board, who knows? They're possibly snug as bugs in a rug wherever Nemetschek carries them, and so G. Nemetschek may have finally shut the internal policy conflict down.

Jim, has there been a sudden influx of staff hiring's since Sean and Viktor were elevated onto the Executive Board?

Your comments would seem to suggest it's business as usual, peddling hard and getting nowhere fast.

Edited by M5d

Looks like Revit 2015 is here

Building Design Suite

This is all I can find so far, more details will emerge no doubt.

I particularly like this:

Hundreds of improvements fulfill customer wish lists for cleaner, easier user interfaces; more flexible data handling; and enhanced design and engineering tools

EDIT:

Autocad LT for mac is now available.

Edited by Kizza