Hidden Line Shadows

BG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently a viewport with a foreground rendering of Hidden Line and a background rendering of the rendering mode you want the shadows from (the Realistic Colors White renderworks style, for example) is the normal way to accomplish it.

There are a few requests in already to have Hidden Line include an option for shadows though, as having to wait for a complex rendering mode to finish as well as Hidden Line takes entirely too long just to get the desired shadows.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can use Custom RW mode and turn off the Colors and Textures checkboxes to get a grayscale look. Adjust the Lighting Options ambient setting higher to get a more white look with grayish shadows. 80-90% ambient will show nice pale shadows and nearly white surfaces.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just searching for the same answer.

I'm actually setting up sectional viewports in the design layers, then at the final stage, I take the hidden line renders, and covert copy to lines, and then monkey about with them to get a subtlety I can't get straight from the model with out putting loads of time into to it. I just find it quicker that way.

So I don't even have the option of background render setting in design layer viewports (...do I??). Ideally I'd turn on the shadows, trace them or even just see what happening on the complex stuff, then approximate them as a polygons with opacity. Does anyone know how to do this in the design layer viewports?

I know its not seamless workflow, but I can make simple models very quickly, and add all the detail manually. For me this is quicker, even if means the odd bit of reworking if things change. 

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

On 2/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, RDS Casa said:

Just searching for the same answer.

I'm actually setting up sectional viewports in the design layers, then at the final stage, I take the hidden line renders, and covert copy to lines, and then monkey about with them to get a subtlety I can't get straight from the model with out putting loads of time into to it. I just find it quicker that way.

So I don't even have the option of background render setting in design layer viewports (...do I??). Ideally I'd turn on the shadows, trace them or even just see what happening on the complex stuff, then approximate them as a polygons with opacity. Does anyone know how to do this in the design layer viewports?

I know its not seamless workflow, but I can make simple models very quickly, and add all the detail manually. For me this is quicker, even if means the odd bit of reworking if things change. 

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

In any one instance you are faster with your method, but in the long run, I would bet you are losing tons of time.  If every change basically requires you to start from scratch - then I would highly suggest that you look into relying more on the model.  It will take some practice, take time investment up front to build more complete models, and will probably take a compromise or two on the output, but in the long run, you can end up saving yourself significant amounts of time.

I am still in the process of moving over to full BIM workflow - and for sure my elevations are not as pretty as they used to be - but when we weighed that against both the time saved and the speed at which we could make changes, I think it will be a clear win.  This first project has been tough, because there is a learning curve, but in the end - even on this first project - I think we are seeing an increase in capacity. 

Edited by Tom Klaber

I understand the theory, but these are planning elevations for a very sensitive site... I can't risk going in with clunky drawings. If it changes after planning, I don't care about the subtle set of elevations - they will not be a construction set, are are not likely be used again.

For the construction stage, they'll be a ton of iterative changes I have no doubt, and there I will use the bim model. But at this stage, if my client changes it after sign off for planning, they can pay for me to change the drawings!

Thanks