how to make these step on the mountain ?

lchen

WSCI - Here is one thing to try for your steps:

?Model the steps as a series of 3d boxes- do this with the 3d modeling tools.

?Arrange them on the ground plane in correct plan view locations.

?Select them all and use the AEC>Terrain> Send to Surface command to move them all to the surface of the site model.

?Adjust the z values as needed.

If there are lots of steps, and they are only a few shapes, model each shape, make each shape a symbol, and place instances of the symbol(s) on your plan view prior to Send to Surface.

Another way is to use the Duplicate Along Path command:

?Draw the plan view center line of your steps (2d polyline).

?Select it and Send to Surface. It is now a 3d object conforming to the DTM surface.

?Select your step symbol and the 3d poly and click Edit>Duplicate Along Path.

Post back with success or more questions.

-B

thanks very much

i make some steps,very good

but there are some question,for each step,we need to make a site modification,it will be lagre data size.

for example there a roadway with 1500m.each step is 0.25,we need to make 6000 steps

my god

Edited by wscl537

That's a lot of steps!! Yes, the file will be very large. Put some dry ice next to your CPU fans (just kidding). Is your final product paper prints? jpg files? video? or ???

Here are a couple ideas:

?Split the site model into several sections and put each section in a separate drawing. Reference them all into a master file for sheet layers or presentation.

?Use Site Modifiers only where absolutely needed -example if terrain is too high. Just model the steps extra thick and let them embed at various depths into the terrain. (sorry, messing with your design).

I hope some site model experts will jump in here with better ideas.

-B

It's a very interesting problem.

Consider placing stepped Landscape Walls 1500mm thick.

Also -

Consider the path of the steps up the terrain. Once you resolve that populating it with steps (step symbols) or stair flight (symbols) or as Benson says Duplicate along paths will be much easier.

Some questions to consider:

(do all steps need to be equal height or will the stair-slope gradually change during the ascent.

what is your maximum flight

how much plan curvature can you allow - per flight/ overall

how much tread uniformity per flight / total do you need.

will you be placing enlarged landing platforms - if so I'd establish those early on

is there an opportunity for the staircase to scribe a meaningful shape up the hillside (serpent/lightening bolt, character etc))?

I haven't used it for a while, but doesn't the NURBS Road create pads (roadway sections) with a parameter for how many to create? Maybe use the tool to establish the pads & then delete the road? Just thinking of possibilities. May not work.

Bcd's suggestion of landings or rest plazas is good design. Place them 1st, then connect with stairs. 6000 steps would be daunting to navigate.

Side note: Those trees in WSCL's image look like ones I developed. No problem if they are. I put them on the forum in many example files for anyone to use. It's kind of cool to see them propagating!

-B