Uninstall to Deactivate

Benson Shaw

Question

License holders apparently need to contact Vectorworks staff for deactivation prior to moving a license to a new/different cpu. This thread in General forum points out the situation:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=195572&gonew=1#UNREAD

And many thanks to Tamsin for reporting the current answer.

My wish:

Uninstall process automatically deactivates Vectorworks from that computer (Y'know, via the internet), thereby making the license immediately available for installation on any compatible computer.

Comment:

A license holder should be able to transfer the license at any time, to any compatible computer, without intervention from Vectorworks staff.

I can see at least a couple exceptions:

? Activated computer is stolen or otherwise inoperable so that uninstall cannot be performed. Home team action during business hours would be required.

? Vectorworks server(?) that monitors license activity is down. Such servers should be "always on" except for brief maintenance.

-B

• Like 1

+1

An uninstaller in general would be great. The manual uninstall is incredibly tedious - I always need to look up the list of steps and digging through the cobwebs of the program files on my computer looking for the individual ones I have to delete is aggravating - and I can not trust others in the office to do it.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitted a new request for a real uninstaller for both Mac and Windows, separate from the issue regarding activations (though it should also deactivate during uninstallation, ideally) since the last formal request was awhile back.

Side note: If anyone comes across this post while looking for the current method to uninstall, it can be found here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1105/Uninstalling+Vectorworks

Edited by JimW
  • Like 1
Guest Jim Kelly

Uninstallers are something we're working towards but there are a lot of obstacles there, unfortunately.

On the Mac, we will likely never have an uninstaller as the expected experience on the platform is to leave behind preference files and the like and simply remove the application itself, which is usually accomplished via dragging the application to the trash.

Certain protection methods do have some auxiliary files that might warrant us to revisit that, but currently the main concern regarding uninstallation is Windows.

It seems deactivation by the user is still not possible?

Some software deactivates the license upon uninstall, which would be ok.

Even better would be if it could be possible to deactivate a license through an option in the Vectorworks menu or license dialog or through your VSS account in case you cannot uninstall at all (e.g. computer crash) or if the deactivation is only temporary (e.g. when making major updates on the computer that may cause the system to be recognized as a new computer and the current activation to be lost, had that happen with some software in the past)

Imagine things going wrong during holidays and you cannot (re)activate for days while you are on a deadline. This is not good.

So if user deactivation has not been implemented yet, then please consider this to be a ++++100 support for the deactivation wish list request.

• Like 2

Or... as one of my software programs does, deactivate all other installs upon installing beyond the authorized number of installs.

E.g. when installing a copy on a third computer, upon activation it will automatically deactivate all other installs of the same license and you will have to activate one of them again to be back on two activated installs.

I'd rather prefer the VSS (or other VW if you are not on VSS) account option to be able to deactivate installs on a computer as that way you can always deactivate an install.

Edited by Art V

I agree user deactivation is needed, but the problem with deactivating other installs DURING installation is that we would need to require constant internet access or a mandatory check-in before launch each time, which can be problematic for some users.

I think the better implementation is to do it through a web portal or only per-machine via a utility that is run directly on the machine the activation was assigned to. This request still stands.

Both Parallels and Adobe Creative Suite install the application(s) first without activation, you only need your Serial Number: This part you can do without Internet access. Upon application first-run you get a dialog box asking / requiring you to authorize over the Internet. Once authorized, there is a pull-down menu item for 'Deauthorize this Computer'.

I think deauthorizing through the VSS portal should be in addition to a method through the application itself. Not everyone has a VSS subscription, and what if the VSS portal is down.

Thats the on-machine utility system I think we should adopt, it would require internet access but only during the activation or deactivation action itself.

With the previous comment I meant that a "deauthorize all machines" command would either require that Vectorworks was always connected or always checked into the server each time it launched as well as periodically while you were working.

Well.. Here I sit with my new laptop that's been running VW2016 no problem for two weeks. Now telling me I need to contact Vectorworks staff to activate my license.. I'm too far away from my workstation computer, and of course I put it to sleep so I can't remote in..

Can't wait to explain this one to the client in the morning!

+1000 Hammers!!) We have sooo many unhappy clients..

We are a distributor for Vectorworks in South Africa - and our hands are tied when a client needs to move an installation to a new upgraded machine, or if they got a blue screen of death and had to reload their machine.

Please add ANY of the following:

--------------------------------

> At least allow VW to start up to a start-screen or to preferences, where you can add a new serials, instead of closing down as soon an invalid certificate is detected or when someone else is already using the license on the network (on your legally activated mobile installation). So only then when the user can't provide a new valid serial, only then, kick him out..

> In WV preferences add an option to add/remove/activate/deactivate serials

> Why not make a new licence type connected to an Online ID like *OpenAuth* / Google / Facebook. So where ever I come across a PC with VW, I can just log in with my ID - and boom! I can make start making magic..

> Please please please make an *uninstaller*! And that also deactivates that particular activation online - giving the user feed back on whether it was successful or not.

> Please please please allow people in Africa to buy *Dongle* Licences, as MAC Africa / CAD Africa (the Africa wholesaler) does not allow that in South Africa :( our clients are crying for better options!

> Please please please allow people in Africa to buy *Network* Licences, MAC Africa / CAD Africa (the Africa wholesaler) does not allow that in South Africa :( our clients are crying for better options!

Thanks @JimW - we owe so many VW features to your help & friendly service!

[i'll start a new thread on the below later]

Why has our $1,500 unlimited NFR ESP Vision dongle suddenly expired since VW took over ESP? We are just receiving automatic replies from everyone we knew at ESP email addresses. So we had to change to a new visualizer supplier - Syncronorm's Realizzer - and are no longer distributing ESP because of no support.

+1000 Hammers!!) We have sooo many unhappy clients..

We are a distributor for Vectorworks in South Africa - and our hands are tied when a client needs to move an installation to a new upgraded machine, or if they got a blue screen of death and had to reload their machine.

Please add ANY of the following:

--------------------------------

> At least allow VW to start up to a start-screen or to preferences, where you can add a new serials, instead of closing down as soon an invalid certificate is detected or when someone else is already using the license on the network (on your legally activated mobile installation). So only then when the user can't provide a new valid serial, only then, kick him out..

> In WV preferences add an option to add/remove/activate/deactivate serials

> Why not make a new licence type connected to an Online ID like *OpenAuth* / Google / Facebook. So where ever I come across a PC with VW, I can just log in with my ID - and boom! I can make start making magic..

> Please please please make an *uninstaller*! And that also deactivates that particular activation online - giving the user feed back on whether it was successful or not.

> Please please please allow people in Africa to buy *Dongle* Licences, as MAC Africa / CAD Africa (the Africa wholesaler) does not allow that in South Africa :( our clients are crying for better options!

> Please please please allow people in Africa to buy *Network* Licences, MAC Africa / CAD Africa (the Africa wholesaler) does not allow that in South Africa :( our clients are crying for better options!

Thanks @JimW - we owe so many VW features to your help & friendly service!

[i'll start a new thread on the below later]

Why has our $1,500 unlimited NFR ESP Vision dongle suddenly expired since VW took over ESP? We are just receiving automatic replies from everyone we knew at ESP email addresses. So we had to change to a new visualizer supplier - Syncronorm's Realizzer - and are no longer distributing ESP because of no support.

Passing this along!

I really like the OpenID suggestion, we have been wanting to use that for a number of different things to reduce the need for users to remember or track a license number, forum login, Service Select logic, etc.

For the Vision stuff, the support structure changed but it should still be the same folks, I'll make sure they've seen this as well.

Still not in VW2017, Nemetschek?  Really?  Look at how long ago this thread started.  This is one of the most important long-neglected, easily implemented features that VectorWorks desperately needs.  I can't think of any other software that allows Internet based activation but NOT Internet based DE-activation.  It's like half of our program is stuck in the 90's.

A Simple Workaround for Some:

"Hello Vectorworks Team, are you there?",  two licenses for a person with a computer at their office, their home office, and in their lap? What world do you live in?  In your market studies,  have you ever found a user with an office, a home office, and a laptop that might want to actually design something with your software?  Apparently not.

These handcuffs VW has placed are truly ridiculous and I would ask for a refund if I were not so entrenched in the platform.  I travel and use five different workstations and VW can only be installed on two. I do not really want to keep track of which two machines are currently activated and I certainly don't want to uninstall and reinstall every time, especially as VW support folks tell me that while machine-key deactivation is often immediate, it can take up to 90 days to reset! ...90 days!?!?  Did you really say ninety days!?!?

How is this for simple:

• Call support, (443) 542-0411, give the last 6 digits of license key and verbally request to deactivate all machines on that license
  • Hang up after complaining a wee bit about this SNAFU, again
  • Open software on needed machine while connected to the internet (software remembers license from last activation so no need to re-enter license key)
  • Start working
  • Note to self: remember to deactivate-all/activate if you intend to work off-line PRIOR to being off-line
  • Note to self: keep license key in phone's address book for easy access and license entry on potential new installation

POTENTIAL BENEFITS: The more users that call support for this, the more it costs VW.  The more it costs VW, the more likely they are to develop a reasonable method that works for real people in the real world. 

Spam them with phone calls, I reckon, eh?

Anyone who is hitting this limit and struggling with the process, I strongly encourage you to upvote this thread (The voting mechanic did not exist when this was first posted, but it does now), near the top left of the original post. The more votes, the more of a case we can make to get control of this directly in the users hands. Thank you!

• Like 1

"Hello Vectorworks Team, are you there?",  two licenses for a person with a computer at their office, their home office, and in their lap? What world do you live in?  In your market studies,  have you ever found a user with an office, a home office, and a laptop that might want to actually design something with your software?  Apparently not.

I can't believe I have been caught with this one again. At home for the weekend with some pressing work to do and decide to use my desktop with a bigger screen and… nothing… can't reactivate my own software.

Many software companies live in an isolated world with high speed internet connections while some of the rest of us have either thirds world internet speeds, or are out of contact with internet or even mains electricity for periods of time each year… in my case often 3-4 weeks… and when I start up my computer and find VW needs reactivation and it can't get it. For example, crossing the Atlantic on a sailing boat a year or so ago. Nearly a month without the ability to use an essential work took which I paid for.

Yes, people may break the rules but why are they prioritised over legitimate paid up users? 

I wonder what the breakdown is between VW programmers spending time perfecting annoying and damaging copy protection compared with fixing long standing bugs, erroneous behaviour and adding features loyal customers have been asking for for many many releases?

A very annoyed VW customer.

D

I wish I could say that it's hard to believe that some sort of self-service activation/deactivation portal hasn't been put into operation in the 5 (quickly approaching 6) years since the original post.    But,  in general,  seems par for the course from what I've seen.    I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept.     I don't know about everyone else,  but 9-5,  M-F isn't exactly how the Entertainment Industry rolls.     I haven't completely written off VW 2020 yet,  and actually have a tiny bit of (probably misguided) hope that it's possible this year.   Solely based on Cinema 4D R21's new Adobe style login system.   (Of which Nemetchek is also the parent company)   Though I know full well both Maxon and Vectorworks operate completely independently from one another.

In any case something needs to happen here.  Machines crash,   Laptops get stolen,   usually at the most inopportune time,   and an immediate replacement is required (sometimes it might even be a rental just to get you through to the purchase/repair whatever)  and there is a pretty good chance that doesn't always fit in to the usual tech support hours when you need to reset your activations.   (of which the limit is stupid anyway,  if nothing else make it so 2 can be activated,  one in use at time and it auto deactivates the oldest one if a new one comes on.)

I'm also somewhat concerned that @PVA - Jim was the only real end-user advocate regularly on these boards,  reading these things,  and sending them up the chain.   And if people in the know are reading these things,  lurking in the shadows,   an update would be really nice.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 3