Uninstall to Deactivate

Benson Shaw

Question

License holders apparently need to contact Vectorworks staff for deactivation prior to moving a license to a new/different cpu. This thread in General forum points out the situation:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=195572&gonew=1#UNREAD

And many thanks to Tamsin for reporting the current answer.

My wish:

Uninstall process automatically deactivates Vectorworks from that computer (Y'know, via the internet), thereby making the license immediately available for installation on any compatible computer.

Comment:

A license holder should be able to transfer the license at any time, to any compatible computer, without intervention from Vectorworks staff.

I can see at least a couple exceptions:

? Activated computer is stolen or otherwise inoperable so that uninstall cannot be performed. Home team action during business hours would be required.

? Vectorworks server(?) that monitors license activity is down. Such servers should be "always on" except for brief maintenance.

-B

• Like 1

Thank you @juanP, what I am selling is a dongled version, as they are in usage here, and never required an activation. The buyer doesn't know what an internet activation means, particularly in matter of discomfort while abroad and I don't want to give the impression of cheating selling empty air. 

On 2/21/2022 at 3:46 AM, _c_ said:

Is this resolved or one still needs to wait for deactivation?

Short answer... it hasn't been resolved at all. Not that lang ago I needed to reinstall the entire system after a windows update completely broke the OS. So I made a phone call and they did reset it, but... while on the phone I was told this could be done only once a year per machine (i.e. with a max of two if I understood it correctly, one reset for each machine it was installed on IF it didn't expire because of not using it for three months).

Compare this to my other CAD program where I can deactivate from within the software and if that is not possible because of a major computer crash that requires reinstalling everything then I can still deactive from within my customer account, though they do ask to specify why you are using the account instead of the regular way, had to use it twice and not a single problem.   Even worse, I sometimes need to run it on a 2nd desktop computer besides my main desktop one and my laptop so I simply deactivate it on the main desktop, activate it on the 2nd desktop and by the end of the day do the reverse routine. Not a single glitch. And this has been possible since I started using it 15+ years ago.

This activation/deactivation thing really needs to be solved, if only to be able to deactivate and install/active on a restored machine while the support department is not available (e.g. weekends, holidays etc.) and because of e.g. an important deadline you can't afford to wait until they are available again.

• Like 3

woooie, this topic is making me sweat anxiously, thinking ahead to the new machine on order, arriving in five-ish weeks. This is stress I don't need. Forgoing Nemetschek's re-inventing the activation mechanic in VWX by then, how can I best plan ahead for a seamless transition (Only software I use <ha-ha, almost wrote "owned"> which puts me thru this)?

• Sad 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, _c_ said:

Thank you @juanP, what I am selling is a dongled version, as they are in usage here, and never required an activation. The buyer doesn't know what an internet activation means, particularly in matter of discomfort while abroad and I don't want to give the impression of cheating selling empty air. 

Dongle licenses are B-series licenses and are not required of any online/internet activation. No need to worry about it.

11 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Dongle licenses are B-series licenses and are not required of any online/internet activation. No need to worry about it.

I've been told that, depending on country/region the time frame may vary, dongle licenses will be phased out and be replaced by internet activation. Is this information correct?

Here in Germany we are suddenly and without any warning refused our service select paid VW 2022 numbers.

The licences are paid, we don't get the numbers if we don't give back the dongle.

There have been exceptions, though, some client got them.

Edited by _c_
  • Confused 1