Sign in to follow this  
JoshW

Walls not Fitting to Roof Face Geometry

Has anybody else experienced issues when trying to fit walls to the geometry of a roof face above? The roof face is sloping and set to a layer above the layer of the walls. The walls extend upward to the roof face, but only to the flat plane of where the roof face and wall first intersect. The wall does not follow the roof face up the slope. The roof face does extend over the whole of the wall and deleting and redrawing both entities does not result in fixing the problem.

This are currently in a number of enhancement requests to add this. Currently it will reshape the path of the wall top follow the edges of specified 3D geometry, but it isn't yet possible to tilt or sculpt the tops of walls in the manner you describe.

I'll add this post to the request.

It's not that it won't tilt the top of the wall to follow the slope, its that the wall will not follow the roof faces to the peak of a gable.

Correct, that is what it currently can not do and that is the component that has been requested.

JoshW, could you attach a screen shot?

Tops of walls cannot be beveled (relative to wall thickness).

The overall wall, however can have a rake (relative to wall length).

Not sure of your meaning when you say the wall will not reach the peak of a gable.

Otherwise, maybe mess with your imbedment settings to have the wall penetrate further into the restraining geometry?

Here it is in picture format. I'm fairly certain that this has worked for me in the past, as in last week. And that was with the same wall type and roof thickness. The only thing different is the size of this building and the height difference in the layers.

update: interior walls will follow the geometry of roof face. but they only occur on one side of the ridge, none of them so far cross over the ridge.

That should work, it seems.

Is there a gable end wall created with the roof that has no fill/texture but is still constraining the wall geometry?

No wait, you have roof faces instead of a roof object?

Maybe try replacing the wall with a new wall?

Correct, it is made with roof faces, not a roof object. Creating a new wall gives me the same result. It acts as if there is a horizontal plane set at that point, yet there is no geometry there that I can find.

When you select the wall, can you see in the OIP wether there are restrictions on height as maybe with the top bounding specifications?

I've tried various configurations of the top bounding specification. Set to layer height, set to layer elevation, deleting the offset (but then it reappears when I try to fit the wall to the roof again). I even tried changing the layer the wall was on.

Maybe this is as JimW implies:

You can't get there from here....

and yet why not? And you looked on the layer that it is fitted to for odd geometry?

The walls that not follow the AEC (fit walls) command are referenced I am not to familiar with referencing but that seems to be the problem. I was able to manually fit the walls to the roof

Hi Joshua, I had a look and can't explain why it doesn't work, some minor jinx i guess.

However a quick way to get it to work is if you move one of the faces up (in the z direction) and run the Fit Walls to Objects, then move the face back to its original position and run the command again, this should get you moving again. Perhaps Jim can explain the reasons for this later on...?!

Same results here, even when brought into a new doc it isn't behaving as it should. Removing either one of the roof faces allows the wall to fit as expected to it, and swapping the roof faces for generic 3D geometry allows it to work as well. You've done nothing incorrectly.

I'll detail it up and submit it as an issue.

Edited by JimW

Vincent, I tried you're suggestion but to no avail. I deleted the troublesome objects and recreated everything.

When in doubt, start from scratch!...

It's because of the alignment of the roof faces.

Take a close look at the ridge line - once you solve this the FWTO will work.

It's because of the alignment of the roof faces.

Take a close look at the ridge line - once you solve this the FWTO will work.

It does indeed, i'll add that to the report. Even if these two roof faces are smashed together or have a gap, it should still attempt to fit all the way up to either the point where the two intersect or the bottom of the gap at the top.

Fitting to a gap doesn't make sense to me just because there is geometry in the very close vicinity

Edited by bc

No, but just like we need in the the flood/paint bucket function in several tools, a certain tolerance level should be introduced or be individually set by users to avoid this type of problem. (This was already available in Bentley Architecture in the 90s......)

I.e. we should be able to determine our selves what 'gap' should be allowed for the tool to ignore and thus still function.....

I would agree to the suggestion as a preference setting but still best to model accurately, yeah? I can see how the roof in question can get off by just a bit in working so I might add that if the wall cannot fit to roof have the error message explain why.

Yes, my concern is more that it appeared to do nothing and give no error. The main problem being that there was no feedback of any kind.

I can understand that Vectorworks didn't think a "problem" had occurred, but that can be the cause of a lot of confusion, as evidenced by the creation of this thread and many like it.

I'm not sure if just adding some sort of visual feedback of what Fit Walls was fitting to would help, but its a problem in a number of different ways.