line weights in viewports

when modelling i set different classes to different pen widths, when i go into a viewport do these pen widths associate themselves with the viewports

or do i have to go in to the settings and adjust these accordingly, in the advanced viewport properties,what is the line width of the default line weight scale of 1 ?

Modelling in Design layer, the classes that are set (together with their line weights/colours/arrow styles) get carried through to the viewports, unless you explicitly override it(by selecting the classes button in the Object Info palette of the sheet layer viewport.

The Line Weight(scale) in the advanced viewport properties scales every single line weight by the factor displayed there.

So if the factor is set to 0.5 and a certain class is set to 0.18, and another 0.05 then the line weight displayed in the viewport for those classes will be scaled as

0.18 * 0.5 = 0.09

& the other

0.05 * 0.5 = 0.025

Edited by TuiWalker

Thanks for the advice so am I right in saying that if you override the classes it's if you change the scale of the viewport other than created in the design layer as I know when I set my pen thickenesses at source its because I know how I want the drawing to appear when printed.... Say my design layer is created at 1:20 and my viewport is set to 1:10 if I don't override the settings will my line weights be half the width.

Unless you change them in either of the two ways described by TuiWalker, line weights are an absolute, regardless of scale. So, if the scale of your design layer is 1:20, and you have a pen set to .18, it will still print at .18 even if your viewport scale is 1:10. IF you wanted ALL the line weights to print at half the width of their design layer width, you'd use the viewports Advance Properties > Line Weight Scale to change them.

In Section Viewports, you can additionally control line weights by setting one weight for the section cut plane, and another weight for everything beyond the section cut plane: Advanced Section Properties > Attributes > Attribute Class: select "Section Style" AND "Objects Beyond Section Plane" > Line Style > Use Class: (create and/or select a class with the desired line weight).

HTH! -Will