Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Vectorscript Versions

twk

Our office has 3 versions of vectorworks being used for projects. VW2011, VW2013, and VW2014. When I started learning vectorscript we were on VW2011, and most of my PIO's carried through to the later versions. As the projects I began working on moved on to VW2013 and VW2014 I began coding in those later versions. Just recently I realised that my PIO's created in VW2014 couldn't be used in VW2013 or VW2011. Do use these plugins I had to re-create all the parameters for the PIO and copy in the script, and compile it to see which procedures/functions weren't compatible.

Has anyone else faced the same problem and have a faster solution? Most of my PIOs have close to 50 parameters to set.

Cheers

Tui

Plug-ins are always forwards compatible but rarely backwards compatible. The only solution is to develop in the lowest version for which you want the plug-ins to be compatible. That also ensures that every API call will be available. Commands to get deprecated, but they are usually available for several subsequent versions.

One tip is to use include files for your code. The compiler will follow shortcuts as well as full and relative paths to include files, so you can have several plug-in copies reading a single text file of code.

-Josh