Problems creating a 3D object from a 3D polygon

JSmetak

I can't seem to figure out how to create a surface that I can work with (ie, give depth and texture to) when a 3D polygon does not sit flat on a 2d plane.

Here's the problem I'm working on: I'm modeling a sidewalk that is 12' wide, 5" thick, and follows a path up and around a small hill. I started with a polyline of the Top/Plan view of the sidewalk. Then, using an elevation, I placed 3D locus points along the edge of the polyline. I connected the dots with NURBS curves, then converted the NURBS into a 3D polygon. The outline follows the exact path I'm trying to create, but I can't give the polygon the 5" of depth or the concrete texture that I need for rendering.

Any thoughts about how to get this to work?

John Smetak

Miller Outdoor Theatre

Houston, TX

VectorWorks 2014 SP2

Windows XP

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not sure what's different about this shape, but the normal way (Select the NURBS curve object, Model > 3D Power Pack > Create Surface from Curves) didnt allow for the creation of a surface.

Going to submit and see why not. Normally either that or using Extract in surface mode on the object would let you get a NURBS surface that you would edit and texture, not sure why this shape isn't allowing such tools to work on it.

John, looks like your loci are good, but your 3rd step, the NURBS curve is made with corner points. I suggest creating 2 NURBS curves - inside edge & outside edge - by connecting the dots with the NURBS Curve tool. Then loft the two curves to get the surface. Then Shell to get the thickness.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10265&filename=Loft%20&%20Shell.png

Edited by Benson Shaw