Vectorworks quitting unexpectedly

annatreg

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I recently upgraded to 14 and I am having continual problems.

I am running on OS 10.9.1 (specs are below) and VW14 crashes at least 5 times a day. Usually it is while I am either rendering or using the map attribute tool, but it is also at odd moments of editing a solid when the document is something other than wireframe (GL included).

Today I uninstalled the program and any old versions of the program and then reinstalled to no avail.

It is driving me spare. It is not a particularly complicated drawing or objects.

And it is not just the particular doc either as it has happen across projects.

The other (less devastating but annoying) problem is that just about always when I am inside a symbol and I render (in open GL) it continues to appear as wireframe until I grab the flyover tool and shift view a little. Then everything renders OK. At other times it only part renders.

Seriously - I have migrated from 2010 and it was a good sturdy program!! After spending a pretty hefty sum of money I would expect smoother sailing!!!!

I also increased the RAM. I am using a powerbook and changing the video card is almost impossible.

Any advice?

Anyone?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system): 2.1f173

Serial Number (system): C02JX9SQDV33

Hardware UUID: F9D59A8D-79B1-5943-B7E8-CDFD14730775

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It has dual graphics, both the Nvidia 650M and an Intel HD card.

Make sure the following has been done to ensure the more powerful card is being used (and that it is only being used when plugged in):

'>http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1216/Multiple+Graphics+Cards+-+%28Mac+OS+X+Only%29

Unfortunately Apple hasnt included an easy option for forcing dual card machines to use their more powerful GPUs. I have seen a few utilities that attempt to force it, but they weren't reliable enough for me to recommend formally.

Jim,

If you're using a Macbook Pro you can force it to always use the more powerful graphics card by turning off graphics switching in the Energy Saver control panel. You need to turn if off on both the Battery and Power Adaptor tabs.

Kevin

The problem we have had is while that is supposed to work, many MBPs keep switching briefly to the Intel HD one in the background. according to all of Apples documentation, what you've stated is true, but in practice it doesn't always work.

I'm still looking for another method that works constantly, even if its getting elbows deep in Terminal.

Yep thats one of the candidates right now, it works great on certain MBP models, but the most recent ones with retina displays its hit or miss.

I'dve posted it in a kbase article already but any time I want to suggest something directly that comes from a 3rd party it has to go through approval which is also hit or miss =/

Edited by JimW