Cryptic Error Messages Are Useless

Bruce Kieffer

Question

7 answers to this question

AndiACD,

Yes they need to be fixed so they just work. My fillet "failure" today was I tried to fillet the edge of a shape with a short curved section. I set the radius, shift clicked the edges I wanted filleted, clicked the checkmark to process, and I get the dreaded bing sound and dumb error message. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't work even though Vectorworks know why it doesn't work. That's the sad part. So I mess with it for about 15 minutes, I still have no idea why it won't work, then I try selecting each edge segment and filleting them one at a time. That works. Go figure. Just more wasted time.

Bruce, this is my biggest grievance with VW, that the basic 3D Tools all struggle at best, like EAaP and friends are still a sad offering for a fundamental necessity, that after, what is it, 20 years? We have a CAD App that can't do a simple Fillet or Chamfer without complaining.

Please NVW stop faffing with the cheap tiles in the kitchen and sort the foundations of the structure out first.

I would like to remind the programmers that what is not cryptic to them can be very obscure to users.

There was a similar issue with another package with a message button. "System Crashed" or some such friendly message and the only button said OK. I pointed out that it this situation is NOT OK!

So they changed it to "Close", a very easy solution to an emotionally charged moment for users.