3-4" pvc and elbows in 3d

Hello all

I have branched out into the Rainwater harvesting design field. Question that I'm putting out there relates to designing a system in 3d. My immediate challenge is creating a 2d/3d plan to show the components and storage tanks. The tank is easy, but items like lengths of 3" pvc and 3" elbows are a bit of a challenge. It does not look like the irrigation tools create a hybrid symbol. I can change the pipe size to reflect the desired size but I don't suppose anyone has wanted to see pvc pipe in 3d. Here is a sample image which represents on a design example. I'm sure this was done in Sketch up, I would prefer to stick with VW if possible...I look forward to some feedback.

I've a library of 3D plumbing fittings both in Stainless Steel & PVC. I've built these by importing DWG files from various manufactures and converting them to VW files. One has to be carful as often the 3D file is often nominally correct but not 100% accurate.

A good one stop shop is Trace Parts (http://www.tracepartsonline.net). You have to register, but once done there are a large number of parts available.

One last tip. I've also stripped down the imported files, then resized them and converted to Generic Solids before saving as symbols, as this helps with render times, & file size.

I've a library of 3D plumbing fittings both in Stainless Steel & PVC. I've built these by importing DWG files from various manufactures and converting them to VW files. One has to be carful as often the 3D file is often nominally correct but not 100% accurate.

I agree with Jim. I have attached a picture of a system I designed in 3D based on PVC pipe and fittings. In this case the fittings are 1/2", but it should apply just as well to 3"pipe.

You probably need to draw the fittings accurately, especially if you are going to have congested areas where fittings will be glued without any "pipe space" between them (with the fitting glued touching each other.)

When I did this I worked in a lot in groups. I would put the first fitting at each enc and then make a group out of them and then enter the group to work on the interconnecting pipe and fittings.

Pipe Image.PNG

Edited by Pat Stanford

Jim,

You are correct about accuracy. In tight spaces it is critical.

With PVC fittings they vary by manufacturer, so if you are designing a tight valve box, you will have to specify the exact manufacturer/pipe schedule/etc. if you really make it tight.

And if it is something that will be built in the field don't plan on getting sub 1/4" accuracy from someone using a hacksaw. ;-)