OSX quits when opening v9 files

I am having a very annoying problem since we bought VW10. We currently run OS10.1.5. When you double click a v9 file to open, or use the "Open" dialog box, VW instantly quits. The only way we can convert v9 files is to launch VW in Classic mode, convert the file to v10, quit VW and deselect " open in classic...", then restart VW in OS 10. Hardly a productive way to work. Help Please.

Bruce,

Sounds like you are having a file association problem.

Boot back to OS 9 and rebuild the desktop.

Boot to OS 10, and double click on a version 9 file to open/convert in vw 10. It should open in VW 10 and state it's converting to a new version.

If you installed the Viewer and deleted or something like that after installing VW 10, then you'll need to reinstall vw 10 to force the file association.

Katie,

I've installed VW10 on 3 different machines all running OS10.1.5. I rebuilt the desktop multiple times, zapped the pram, and ran Norton to de-frag the drives. Nothing has helped. Yesterday, I installed O10.1.5 and VW10 on a partition without OS9. VW launches and opens blank docs with no problem, but as soon as I try to open a v9 doc, the program instantly quits. It never gets to the dialog box to convert from v9 to v10.

I can only think of one other possible conflict. 3rd party software in the OS. I have Logitech trackball software, windowshadeX, ASM, and Fruit Menu installed on all machines. These all add to the preferences pane. Have you heard of any 3rd party conflicts with VW10?

Fruit Menu causes alot of problems with VW. A key symptom caused by Fruit Menu is the crashing you are referring to.

I had heard of Fruit Menu a few days ago, but didn't know alot about it. One of our engineers clued me in on this compatibility problem.

It should work just fine on OS 10.1.5 unless something didn't get installed from the OS - like what happened to another person.

Installing an OS on a clean partition and then installing only VW, should be a test to see if it's the program or something else.