Import Image file

Uli

Does anybody know if there are restrictions in the image file size that I can import. I have imorted 3 tiff files with 300 GB each but the fourth file VW 2014 does not want to import and VW freezes. I tried this with differnt files of the same size.

I had problems in earlier Versions of VW with the limit of pixels if the image was very large. Or can it be a RAM problem?

Thanks for any help

VW 2014 Landmark

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

16 GB Ram

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

300 GB (gigabytes) or 300 MB (megabytes)?

A 300GB image is extremely large and I would not be surprised if you came across issues.

To give you a point of reference, most common hard drives included in consumer desktops today would not even be able to store 6 images of that file size.

A 300MB image can cause some problems, but shouldnt just crash right out.

As a quick test, save that TIFF as a JPG and/or a PNG (you can use Photoshop or Paint to do this, its not important what software package you use) then try the import again on the newly converted version of the image and see if the same thing occurs.

Thanks for your quick reply.

It is a geotiff with a tfw file. It would be fine if I do not have to change the format, because I use these files in different programs as reference files. The import of the fourth file does not come to an end even after some hours. If there is no other possibility I try to convert the geotiff into another format.

you can change the georeferencing file to match the format of the image,-

tif - tfw

jpg - jgw

png - pgw

its basically the first and last letter followed by the 'w'

we do it all the time and works fine.

VW used to have a 15000 x 15000 pixel limit as well but not sure if it is the same in 14. i used to have to downsize all my images in photoshop to get them to work, otherwise they would come in as a big grey box

Every time the import, referenced or not, freezes VW 2013 or 2014, after the third file. Up to the third file everything is ok. It seems that the file size in MB does not matter because I used Georaster in tiff, png or jpg. The file size of the jpg file is very small but the dimension of the aerial image is in all three versions the same 10000x10000 24 bit. I know that there was a limitation in former Versions of VW but I thought I can use it now for cartographic work in townplanning projects. If there is a limitation it would be nice to now it, because GIS programs import nearly as many geotiffs as you like.

Sorry for my English.

Edit:

I made one Raster out of the four raster files as geotiff and geojpg. The import worked fine for both files although the tif file was ten times bigger than the jpg file but I ended up with a greyed rectangle with no image. So I thing that there must be a limit in the dimensions when you want to import georeferenced images.

Edit:

Hi monkey, it seems to be as you mentioned before "VW used to have a 15000 x 15000 pixel limit as well but not sure if it is the same in 14". I cut the image after mergeing the files to 14474x14474 and it works although the file size is nearly 600 MB.

It would be very nice if known limitations were published so I can save a lot of work or is it written somewhere?

Edited by Uli

I strongly recommend you tile these images to reduce the handling load on VW.

One project I did came with a 200mb tiff, which I chopped into 12 tiles. Much faster and when you pdf you still get small files: VW appears to place the entire image into the pdf, so the trick is to place each til in a class.

Checking now to see if I can get a definitive list of image handling limitations.

In the meantime, if you import 3 images, but save the file in between each import, does the same crash occur? Or only if you import 3 images in a row without saving in between?

Hi JimW,

thanks for your info.

I saved the file every time after each geotiff Import.

I had the grey rectangle after the Import of a the merged geotiff smaler than 32.000x32.000, so I will look into that Problem again. However I would suggest to take of or strongly expand that limitation if possible, because a lot of people working with georeferenced areal images in regional planning needs more space and you have the exchange with GIS in your product advertising.

Best regards

Uli

Edited by Uli