Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Script to import multiple dwg files into 1 design layer

Sam Lee

We get given .dwg files files quite regularly by a 3rd party it takes us about 10 minutes to import them and organize them the way we like, this seems like a perfect thing to write a script for, the workflow is split into 2 distinct sections.

The folder they send us contains multiple .dwg files of a building - each floor is a separate .dwg

1) What we do is import all these into a .vwx file, then go through and merge all the floors into one design layer and space them out so we have it reading from ground floor or basement to top floor left to right.

2) We then also run a custom select script to find all line weights of 6.48 and change them to 1.5 (files from this particular 3rd party use quite heavy 6.48 line weights in places which look really odd when imported so we change them).

Stage 1 takes most of the time, but is also the one i was quite unsure how to handle with a script particularly the part where we take the multiple design layers created on import, cut the data out of them and reorganize it into one design layer reading left to right - is that possible with vwx scripting, if so are there some particular functions i should be looking at ? - I dont mind if they are in the wrong order left to right as im not sure how a script would know which floor is which unless it was specified in the .dwg file name but even just having them auto combined and layed out in a random order would be a large speed boost in this workflow.

The second stage is pretty straight forward.