Render issues

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Part of what I'm seeing is due to the displacement mapped texture being applied to all parts of the wall, where really it would only be applied to the left and right.

However I am seeing the problem where corners are left open where one would expect the projected face of the displacement geometry to miter together, or at the very least butt against each other, rather than leaving such a gap. Submitting this now.

Now that I think back on the 2014 launch work, on all the demo files I worked with for the Displacement Mapping videos and images, I used NURBS surfaces and 3D polys only, mainly because of the weirdness shown in the initial post when applying this type of texture to walls.

I think I got stuck in the mindset of this being the way it "should" work and just kept using the raw 3D geometry instead of walls, rather than backing out and requesting the way displacement mapping is handled on wall objects be changed.

I fall into mental habits like this on occasion, but you're right, a user would expect to be able to apply the displacement mapped texture to the top/bottom/sides and expect it to at least come close to aligning, or be manually adjustable so that it appeared at least as well as it does on object such as this extrude. Submitting this now.

Edited by JimW

Hello VincentC:

I looked at this a bit and adjusting a little bit should help:

1. Like Jim says, apply the displacement texture to the left and right part of the wall and leave the Overall part set to no texture. Or, explode the wall into separate polygons to get the faces independent of each other. This will fix the triangular areas that are showing no displacement.

2. Instead of making the Grout 100% and the square height 30%, try making the grout at 0% and make the square heights 70% or whatever. This fixes the extrude not showing strong enough displacement.

3. Making the extrude into separate 3D polygons could also help the displacement look stronger on that object.

4. Try giving the tiles more of a bevel, this can help the transitions in the bumps. So try a Bevel Width higher like 5% or 10% rather than 1%.

5. The preview object type of Sphere in the Edit Texture dialog is slow, using cube will make the dialog come up faster.

6. Turning off indirect lighting and the HDRI temporarily in the Lighting Options will make it faster to render while you adjust things.

HTH!