black & white printing

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.2, VectorWorks 9.5.3, and a HP LaserJet 5100tn printer.

My drawings are in color, but I print to the black & white laser printer 99.9% of the time. In order to get the drawings to print properly I have to toggle the "document prefs" > "black and white display" setting on and off.

Is there a way to have VW print black and white all of the time, regardless of my display showing color? It sure would save a lot of trips to the prefs menu, and paper for all those times I forget and print in color.

Dan

I take it that printer doens't have a black and white only option for printing?

You can try using "Print Color as Gray Scale" in the HP Color Quality drop down box (might be differnt on other printers).

The lightness setting affects the color change beteween white and black - grayscale.

0% or no change should make all colors black and everything else white.

My closest setting to what you describe is under the "Image Quality" drop-down menu which allows me to change between enhanced or standard levels of grey. I don't see a "print as black and white" option.

Assuming it's possible, it would be a nice new feature in VW to have a "print in black and white" checkbox in the prefs. Perhaps add this one to "the list" as well?

Dan

Katie,

No. The standard level is the default setting. I think the enhaced level is for printing things like photographs. Both settings convert my colored lines in VW to shades of grey.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I discovered the "RGM" tools, which I think is what you're describing. It's a menu that allows me to toggle the color on and off. An improvement over the preference setting, but I still have to remember to toggle the color off before printing. That, of course, is my problem.

Dan