Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Plug-in script edits not saved

SLFY

This is probably a simple question. I have quite a few plug-in scripts I have written - most very simple - that I use daily. Most were created in VW 2012.

While using 2013, I had a notion to make a small change to one script, and tried several times. It showed it compiled successfully. Put after closing the script editor, nothing was changed. I had tried restarting vectorworks after doing the edit, etc. but it never saved. It wasn't worth a lot more head scratching so I forgot about it.

Now I have updated to 2014, and there have been changes. In particular, a menu script I wrote and have used daily for a couple years updates my worksheets, sets the drawing date and then opens up the Export PDF Batch window. After some confusion, I realized the "publish" command has completely replaced the Export PDF batch. So I go to change the script and the same issue - no warnings but no save - happens.

So, my question is Why? is the issue due to the fact the scripts where written in an older version? I have no protection or encryption set. Before I go to the trouble to try and create a new, almost duplicate plug-in and adjust my workspace, I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks,

Sean

Thanks Hippothamus,

While my plug-in files were not read only, your reply led me to the answer. For reasons I do not understand, I needed to set VW to be run as administrator. (I am the only user on this computer and I am the administrator - why, windows, do I need to let you know I want the program to run with the my privileges?)

Anyway - that solved the problem.

Thanks a ton.

Sean

It is maybe because your plugins files are located in the program files folder instead of the user folder (appdata)...

That is true. I thought I would put them were it would be easy to find them when its time to upgrade something.

However, I had the same problem on my previous computer when I had my plug-ins in the app data folder...never spent the time to try and discover the problem then, but I now assume it was the same...but it may be that they got set to read only somehow as well.

Its all good now.

Thanks,

Sean