Renderworks and reference files

Kevin C

I am trying to create a housing development layout model using Renderworks 2014 with the houses referenced in from individual VW files. Can anyone tell me why the resolution of the render is so poor. Each of the house files render absolutely perfectly, but when the files are referenced into the development layout (with all the roads, hard and soft landscaping etc) the resolution of the render (whether in the main design layer or a sheet layer) is abysmal.

Please help - Client is not happy with the output, and am unable to say why I am unable to produce a suitable presentation drawing.

Thanks in advance:

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Could you post a few sample images comparing the rendering in the source file to the rendering when referenced?

It shouldn't be reducing quality simply because its referenced in, most likely this is a setting in the file or with a specific viewport we can correct.

Jim,

I have attached two files.

1st file - "fast renderworks" from the design layer of the root file

2nd File - "fast renderworks" from the main drawing.

The output was meant to be a "realistic render - but the two files show well enough the difference between the original and referenced file.

BTW - There are 11 house types referenced into the main drawing with 78 referenced viewports to create the whole drawing.

I have attached a dropbox link to the two files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2ruc1i5gx1qsy8/vMBqIYoGkF

Thanks,

Kevin.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What is the DPI of the sheet layers these viewports reside on?

If you render in Final Quality Renderworks instead, are the results comparable and still worse on the reference, or do they more closely match in quality?

Do you see the same quality issues when rendering in OpenGL with detail set to Very High?

If you reference that same file into a new blank file, create the viewport and render, does it suffer from the same loss in quality?

• 3 months later...

Solution Found.

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but I found the problem - and sorted it. It has nothing to do with the rendering whatsoever, it was the wall construction. I had a fully detailed wall make-up specified in the houses and the breather membrane was the item which was causing the problem.

It seems that VW keels over if each of the components does not have minimum thickness. Normally you would put a thickness of 0.1mm for membranes (so that they don't add to the overall wall thickness), but VW requires a thickness of at least 1.0mm or something goes wrong.

Kevin.