Export PDF problem

All of a sudden I'm getting some crazy lines when I export a sheet layer as a PDF.

In the attached drawing, I have two objects. A shell and a simple extrude. It looks fine. I can print the sheet fine. I can export it as an image file fine. But exporting it as a PDF causes all sorts of strange lines, including many that aren't shown here. Even straight lines aren't rendering. Check out the curved corners of the sink! There should be no squiggly lines in the picture. And even the dashed line wanders all over the place.

Here's what I've done so far.

I rolled Adobe back to 4 months ago.

I tried older drawings to see if my current file is corrupted.

I tried on my work and my home computers.

I played with every resolution setting I could, but the randomness of the lines indicates its not a resolution problem.

I'm getting ready to reinstall Vectorworks, but I'm not sure why I would have to reinstall it at work and at home.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I just tried creating pdfs from your drawing using both the native Mac OS pdf engine and VWs export to PDF.

Both worked great.

But there is something weird going on? Dashed hidden lines are showing as solid lines. - which is what VW does when the scale of a dash is too small to display.

Might be a coincidence, but it's worth looking at.

mk

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I see what you're getting now, even at 2000% zoom. Taking a closer look into it here.

Happening even when I increase the DPI of the sheet layer and exported PDF to 3000 more than it should, but its not as bad as when its a sheet layer of 72DPI.

Happens on OS X 10.9s Preview and Adobe Reader XI on both OS X 10.9 and Windows 8.1.

Edited by JimW
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I tried upping 2D and 3D conversion res to Very High, and then yes it appears to be masked by lineweight, but for thinner lines I still see it here.

Pretty sure its the fact that the object is 3D (or the issue is 3D conversion res-based), as I can place 2D arcs and flat NURBS curves of the same radius on the sheet layer as well and they export as smooth as expected.

Submitting as an issue now specifically for PDF Export, since I see nice smooth curves in VW and in image exports as described earlier.

Edited by JimW