Kevin McAllister

Consistent, Easy Custom Classing of all PIOs

Question

I would like consistent, easy custom Classing of all PIOs.

Custom Classing is available in various ways right now including through the Plug-In manager. We need a consistent system that's easy to access (i.e.. all in one place) and transferrable forward to new versions of VW without having to re-enter it all after each upgrade.

Lots of items that should be custom Classable currently aren't (ie. the Callout tool). In fact the Callout tool can't even be set to use marker by Class as the default. I spend so much time declassing objects after they are created (Viewports, Crop Objects, Section Lines, the list goes on). Why can't this be improved?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

Agreed. Standard Naming could do with a revamp or a replacement. Its very powerful but a bit confusing and as you've stated, inconsistent.

Submitting now.

I think altering Standard Naming's auto-classing (or adding a completely separate function)so that it allows users to map specific PIOs to custom classes, rather than mapping default classes to custom classes would be the cleanest and most user-controllable solution.

One should be able to right click on any tool and set it's default insertion class.

• Like 1

While we're at it, can there be a default for viewport creation? Why viewports would be be in different classes is beyond me. I find it very funny (not) that we must name a viewport (which I've never done in my life) but we can't set the viewport's class itself upon creation, it's just whatever class happens to be active.

One should be able to right click on any tool and set it's default insertion class.

I would think that setting each tool manually would be good, but being able to control it all from one location and save different standards for different files in addition to that would be important as well.

While we're at it, can there be a default for viewport creation? Why viewports would be be in different classes is beyond me. I find it very funny (not) that we must name a viewport (which I've never done in my life) but we can't set the viewport's class itself upon creation, it's just whatever class happens to be active.

I should think Viewports would be included as one of the PIOs that could be classed automatically under this wish. I think ALL plug in objects should be classable in this manner.

EDIT: Actually now that I think of it perhaps viewports arent strictly Plugins... but all object types, including viewports, should be covered under this auto classing.

Edited by JimW

I agree about a default class for viewport creation.

Viewport Naming is one of my biggest pet peeves about VW for one reason only. VW uses the Viewport Name, not the Drawing Name, for bookmark names when it creates a PDF. One of the dumbest defaults ever because as you say no one names their viewports, but everyone names their drawings. Jim, this stupidity should be fixed. Why these two things aren't one in the same is beyond me. (I've actually written a script that renames each viewport to match its drawing name field.)

Kevin

I was not aware that was the case. I'll submit that separately, a wish for an option to choose in Publish/Export PDF whether to name each bookmark/viewport by the Viewport Name or Drawing Title.

(The only real reason I think it should be an option and not simply a change to the default is if everyone has already adhered to the old standard, they'd have to manually change each viewport if they hadn't been keeping up with both fields.)

That would be awesome Jim. I understand the need for backward compatibility. The wish I submitted years ago was for a preference that made the Viewport Name and Drawing Name match...... but a preference in the Publish/Export PDF works too.

KM

That works too! I'll see if i can find that wish item and if not, resubmit. If nothing else, it increases the likelihood of getting whats needed.

Edited by JimW

Bumping this wish. Why are new tools implemented without this ability?

This is still badly needed almost 5 years later.

Kevin

• Like 4

Bump the bump.  I really want that callout tool to be auto classed.

• Like 2

Anyone interested in this, please make sure to vote it up at the top left of the original post, this is an older one from before we had voting on the forums.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

Anyone interested in this, please make sure to vote it up at the top left of the original post, this is an older one from before we had voting on the forums.

Done

To me you should start with how classing works within the tool authoring environments. It should certainly be easier to use class and class attributes in VS/Python than it is.

Tool authors should have simple clear way to define a base case for the classes they want to use. Create objects in those classes and rely on them taking on the class attributes with a single line of code.

A consistent interface should then allow the user or CAD manager to tweak classes to suit.

• Like 1

Agreed, but I'm no coder.  

Why can't all tools just have a class setting in their preferences.  Why are some able to be set in the plug in manager and others not?  

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, grant_PD said:

I really want that callout tool to be auto classed.

If an option, I'd definitely agree.  If forced (like what was tried w. Lighting Devices), I'd not support that, at all.  Just my 2¢US...

I don't think that any time VW forces the user to accept a setting is ever a good thing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

I don't think that any time VW forces the user to accept a setting is ever a good thing.  

Knowing other exchanges I've had w. you over the years, I assumed as-much...

On 11/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, grant_PD said:

Bump the bump.  I really want that callout tool to be auto classed.

^ This and the callout marker needs a By Class option as a possible default (not possible now).

Kevin