Rounding Precision Question

See attached pic.

I'm seeking clarification on each of the rounding precision options.

What's the difference between Decimal Precision and the Decimal Rounding Base?

and similarly,

What's the difference between Dimension Object Precision and Dimension Rounding Base?

OK think I have this sorted.

Decimal Precision refers to how many decimals are shown after the whole number i.e. a precision value of .001 means that a number say 700.256894 will be shortened to 700.256 in the OIP.

Decimal Rounding Base controls how this precision is rounded up (or down)

Dimension Object precision refers to how many decimals you would like to show after the whole number in the dimension.

Dimension Rounding Base again controls how the Dimension Object precision is rounded up (or down)

What does this mean for architects?

You probably want to be able to input whole numbers to the value of 1 (with no rounding). This keeps everything accurate and the tape measure tool displays the value as entered.

When dimensioning though, the convention is for the dimension to be rounded up or down to the nearest zero or 5.

For this to happen correctly within Vectorworks, the settings required are attached below. The attached settings are summarised as:

Decimal Precision = 1 - no decimals are displayed in OIP or tape measure tool.

Dimension Object Precision = 5 - again shows that no decimals will be considered in the dimension string (the 5 represents and is linked to the chosen Dimension Rounding Base value)

Decimal Rounding base = 1 - Determines how the decimal number is to be rounded. In this case the number will be rounded to the nearest whole number.

Dimension Rounding base = 5 - the value of 5 will round the dimension value up or down to the nearest 5 or 0.

Edited by Kizza
  • 1 month later...

We've actually just come across an issue with this. While tracing over a referenced CAD file, our grid snaps were turned off and the precision was set to .001". We thought that this would keep us relatively accurate. However, just because the precision is set to .001 doesn't mean that your objects are limited to those constraints. Lines would show a dimension of 2.125" in the OIP, but if you increased the precision, you would see they were really 2.12498023". The issue arose only after we attempted to connect endpoints and midpoints of these lines and walls that we realized the blunder. Objects that were thought to be orthogonal were actually slightly off, creating various issues 3D geometry and CAD exports for our consultants.

We've actually just come across an issue with this. While tracing over a referenced CAD file, our grid snaps were turned off and the precision was set to .001". We thought that this would keep us relatively accurate. However, just because the precision is set to .001 doesn't mean that your objects are limited to those constraints. Lines would show a dimension of 2.125" in the OIP, but if you increased the precision, you would see they were really 2.12498023". The issue arose only after we attempted to connect endpoints and midpoints of these lines and walls that we realized the blunder. Objects that were thought to be orthogonal were actually slightly off, creating various issues 3D geometry and CAD exports for our consultants.

So Josh, when you were tracing over the referenced CAD file, were you snapping to the given objects, or were you freehand drawing?

If the latter, it's pretty much impossible (without a grid constraint on) to get anything other than what you got. You would be far better to work with a grid snap of 1/4" (or whatever your preferred tolerance abased on the form of construction was), or else draw over top by moving object empirically and/or using data input, using the referenced file as a base.

I'll often do this, by greying out the background info and working without snap to other layers on.

I hate dirty data, and as you found out, so do consultants.

HTH,

VG.

• 6 years later...

I tried something in Tools > SmartCursor Settings > Grid. I changed both of those values to 1/8". Then in the Window  > Pallets > Snapping choose snap to grid... But after drawings for a few minutes it found a snap to wild decimal numbers..

Edited by Helios
correction