Edit DWG reference file?

Rossford

Question

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To import the DWG as referenced should be an option in the Import DWG dialogue in 2014.

If you want to be able to edit the imported data, delete that referenced DWG and import the DWG into the new file without the referencing option enabled, it should then behave just as in previous versions.

Edited by JimW

Or... import the dwg file into a blank Vectorworks file and then reference to that Vectorworks file. That way you can edit the referenced drawing more easily without having to use a dwg program like DraftSight.

I'm doing it this way from time to time as it allows me to put things taken out from the drawing on a 2nd layer that is turned off and still have these "deleted items" there in case they need to be put back into the dwg based drawing.

I would always import a dwg file into a blank VW file and then reference the new VW file into the project and a design layer viewport. Reasons for:

1. You can export the dwg reference file as a dwg file back to the originator easily

2. If you import a dwg file directly into VW it will overwrite your class settings (dwg file imports always have fill on as solid - causes havoc with drawings)

3. You can always overwrite the dwg settings in the advanced settings tab of a design layer viewport to display how you want it to

4.Your file will not get overloaded with autoCAD layers (classes) - they will only show up in the viewport, which you can then customise.

Reasons against - None that I am aware of.

One thing that would be good for VW importing and exporting dwg files is the ability to use the dwg originators ctb file from an e-transmittal (or one which we have created ourselves), then we would be able to replicate the file settings and stop the constant moaning from autoCAD users about linetypes and colours to being incorrect

One thing that would be good for VW importing and exporting dwg files is the ability to use the dwg originators ctb file from an e-transmittal (or one which we have created ourselves), then we would be able to replicate the file settings and stop the constant moaning from autoCAD users about linetypes and colours to being incorrect

I agree on the ctb file, it would be nice if Vectorworks could use that. That being said, the ctb file only affects the line colours and linetypes if they are defined in the ctb file. It is (or should be) common practice for AutoCAD users to define colour and linetype in the layer settings and set colour and linetype to "bylayer" ("by class" in VW). In that case Vectorworks should also be able to read the linetype.shx file to get the proper linetype definitions and then re-export those linetype definitions again.

This would require some discipline from the AutoCAD users to always use an e-transmittal for sending the dwg file to you.

Not to mention that it would be really nice to be able to import/export text styles (font translation is not a major issue as that can be solved fairly easily if shx fonts are required).

Not being able to keep the text styles in a dwg-vwx-dwg roundtrip is really limiting.

Edited by Art V