how can I rotate hybrid objects in any view other than plan view???

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Truss objects specifically have an attribute in the Object Info palette named "Hanging Angle" that you should be able to use for this.

Curved truss should be rotate-able if you check the box for "Draw 3D only" in the OIP.

Edited by JimW
I had a read through the thread you suggested. Again I have the same problem, I can only rotate a symbol in the X or Y axis if it's 3D only, I have to lose the 2D representation.

Did you download and work with the sample file I posted? If the workflow I suggested will work for you, you won't have to lose any of your geometry - namely, the value of the 2D parts (legible plots). Just remember, you're tilting/raking/rotating Design Layer ViewPorts - not the truss and lights they reference. FWIW, it took me a while to get my head around the technique, but I now use it constantly for things like raked trusses, vertical elements, and ladders.

Be on the look-out for a Webinar covering this right after the new year...

• 3 years later...

You can incline a Straight Truss by changing the Hanging Angle (near the bottom on the OIP).  Immediately below that is a field for Rotation which allows you to rotate the truss around its longitudinal axis.

With a Curved Truss you have to checkmark the option Draw 3D Only (near the bottom on the OIP).

Rotate Straight Truss.png

Rotate Curved Truss.png

Mike,

Unfortunately, I'm not using the truss tool. In order to get my drawing to be accurate, I've imported the CAD block from Tyler Truss' website for GT Truss. Once I imported it, I then converted it into an Auto Hybrid object so it was able to represented on both my 2D & 3D views.

And that's where I run into problems. You can see in the attached file that I've created a 32 ft. section of truss with lighting fixtures and I'm wanting to rake that truss.

Thoughts?

Tyler_GT_Truss_v2.vwx

I will suggest going back and looking at Andy Dunning's concept of the Design Layer Viewport. It seems like a silly, convoluted workaround at first but once you understand the process and the benefits, it's actually extremely cool and I use it all the time for anything that is raked or anything that is automated.  You can place everything exactly where you want it in 3D space and still maintain accurate 2D models for you shop staff. 

The latter is a huge selling point. Once you rake a truss, what do you do for accurate shop drawings?  This approach allows you, without any extra effort, to produce detailed plan views of every structure in your rig and it is basically laid out "flat on the floor" exactly the way the shop staff preps it. No silly wireframe nonsense. You cannot do that with a generically raked structure. 

Another benefit is that moving a truss structure on your plot in any direction (X, Y or Z) moves EVERYTHING associated with it regardless of which classes were turned on or off or how you selected all those items. Now truss, lights, softgoods, scenic elements, video elements all move together with a SINGLE click. You can't do that with a generically raked structure. 

Lastly, adding fixtures to an already raked truss is now no different than adding a fixture, or any other element for that matter, to a flat truss. Need to add a truss border after a meeting with the production designer?  Easy as adding a soft good to any straight element. You can't do that either with a generically raked structure. 

I seriously recommend this approach. 

Edited by scottmoore
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I will suggest going back and looking at Andy Dunning's concept of the Design Layer Viewport.

This is definitely the way to go. Use the Create Plot and Model View command from the Spotlight Menu. Its a bit of a head scratch at first, but definitely the way to achieve accurate 2d Workshop drawings for laying out positions as well as seeing the actual structures as a model.

These 2 youtube videos will help.

https://youtu.be/YPVQ5nr1DDA

Once you get the hang of this it really is a very useful and powerful concept. The only drawback that I have found is that the rotated positions cannot be exported to Vision. (YET!)