New Topics Wanted - Vectorworks Training Content

PVA - Admin

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you have a training topic wish? Perhaps you want to learn how to do something specific with Vectorworks? Maybe you want to learn how to use a particular command or tool? Or perhaps you would like to learn about a specific workflow? Well, let us know what items would be most useful to you that you don' already see available for Vectorworks. 

If you have an item you'd like us to consider making, please reply to this post, including as many details as you can. We'll be constantly monitoring this and merging it with our list. Thank you for your feedback.

How to make a full scale section detail of a window side jamb trim/casing that I have in my 3D model of a room. I've tried the clip cube, but you can not make a viewport of the top which would show this detail.

Also, better understanding of making viewports onto design layers to create full scale section details of individual components.

As a TV/film set designer I need to make full scale section details of all trim/molding profiles & with out making another design layer and just drawl each molding profile to make a viewport sheet layer of just the section details.

Also, to make a construction plan view drawing of the 3D model is not easy, I've tried the Create Auto Hybird of the model in plan view but it does not show all of the components correctly, so I have to trace the model plan to make a 2D floor plan for a construction drawing.

Also, there needs to be a way to thicken the profile lines of an object in a Section Cut Elevation viewport, I have wainscotting on a wall with a closet projecting inwards, if I make the line weight of the wainscot thicker for the edge profile line, it make all of the wainscot lines thicker.

Thanks for any help with these items

DTM DTM DTM

Not only is the interface with this module clunky, it hasn't been updated in forever. I'm an architect and have had to self-teach myself how to put a building into a model from somewhere around 4 different sources/videos (none of them from the nna library). I work with landscape architects who refuse to use it because its too complex and time consuming to learn let alone teach an employee how to use. Again, better to have tools that work as advertised, are stable, are more intuitive and relevant to this forum, and are well documented (videos work the best). Real world examples exploring the tool set for both landscape and building in a series of videos would be very helpful.

Perhaps echoing mchev, learning how to map a google earth/bing image on to a DTM would be a bonus.

-J

+1 for more detail on DTM creation, edit & troubleshoot in KB and videos. DTM is a vast endeavor, so searchable topics would be great.

So many parts and processes of the DTM are difficult because many steps are required, often tied to nested settings and dialogs. The work flow can be daunting:

place a pad>set the angles for drainage>why is there an error dialog about it touching other pads when touching is actually OK>readjust the angle>add a grader>is the grader close enough>is it called a boundary or grader or grade limit in this version>test render>pad doesn't meet the driveway edge>readjust angles>now a texture bed in the exist view needs edit>can't edit>have to delete and redraw>test render again>some of the trees didn't send to surface>try again>did the trees show up in both proposed and exist>fiddle to make that work>why are my new contours squared off>I forgot how I fixed this last time>edit the source data add some 3d loci>now my DTM contours aren't coincident with survey contours>call consultant to see if that matters>now the back meadow needs tall grass and wagon wheel ruts with variable width and depth>road tools don't work for this>now the ADA curb ramp standards changed so I will spend hours editing>blah blah blah>

Sorry - I'm exaggerating to make a point that DTMs can be process heavy, and those process details may be hard to remember if not frequently used. Hence request for documentation with lots of searchable topics on how to do, undo and edit the various DTM components and features.

Regarding mapping an image to the DTM:

I have this vague memory of a distant past version launch event, hosted by Katie (and others), so maybe v11? or 12? or 2008? Anyway the ability to put a street map or other image on a DTM was an advertised new feature, demonstrated with documentation. Could that be a framework for new video? Or was this feature for importing/mapping GIS instead of image?

One indirect approach is to Drape Surface the DTM and apply the map as a texture to the Drape - transparency may be helpful.

-B

Hello

Please update all vectorscript command function references (http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:Function_Reference) by the appropriate phyton syntax together with an example. For instance the syntax to vectorscript command HCenter is very different in python.

HCenter(h, x, y)

versus

p = HCenter(h) # where p = (x,y)

Why has somebody to guess the correct python syntax?

Thanks an best regards,

I have not found any real comprehensive training vids, etc., on how to use and manipulate the WORKING PLANES.

I need to diagonally crop a wall--add an image or extrude to another object that isn't in plan-view.

In Spotlight--using the Truss tool that will be vertical--especially while creating scenic elements.

The very short and not really very comprehensive YouTube vid doesn't delve into what/why/how, etc.

I am just having too many problems making it work. And I always seem to be on a deadline--not that much "Play Time".

THX! Preston

Recommended file / Class / Design Layer / Stories / Levels setup for a multi-story renovation / addition project using the new Stories & Levels in v2015.

Note: The standard NNA Architect class naming system does not seem geared toward differentiation between 'New' and 'Existing' objects / classes.

I will second this topic suggestion!

Various best methods on "How to setup a reusable details library with annotations". (Large scale wall section details,etc). How to transfer a detail from this library from one scale to another.

Also include how does NNA recommend to make it Future-proof with the planned evolution of the detailing tools and detail viewport command.

It would be nice to have a tutorial on how to detail sections, and how to tie in your roof framing and foundation. I'm having so much trouble trying to get things dialed in and there's no such tutorials or videos anywhere. Getting a little frustrated.

NNA has to stop depending on third party tutorial/training development, it's not enough in detail for us users.

Most of the supporting tutorials and short You-Tube clips are NOT in-depth enough.

Any tutorial needs to guide us in integrating new features into our process. As an example see all the request above here.

Another example, this is a BIM but the explanation on how to properly set up a file and it's objects to effectively use that "I" part in spreadsheets for something like Quantity Take-Off's is no where to be found.

This is a HUGE short coming in maintaining and attracting users. Support material is most important in the software industry.

Edited by Patrick Fritsch

I totally 100% agree with Patrick in that NNA needs to provide much more in depth videos, tutorials and supporting documentation. And even though I am a VSS subscriber, I think the 'better' tutorials should be freely available to everyone on YouTube, not just for VSS subscribers.

For an example of how in-depth I think they should be, take a look at what Graphisoft has posted on YouTube about ArchiCAD18's new rendering features (27 videos) and also the Intermediate Training (52 videos):

What I like about them (particularly some of the rendering feature videos) is that they show what can happen if you make simple mistakes and don't do everything correctly.

How about the Door Tool in the Building Shell tool set. Doing just the door is great, except for the exterior & interior trim. Would be great to be able to change the profile of these trims verses using no trim in the Door Tool & then adding your own, this would speed things up.

My main question on the Door Tool is the transom over the door, I can not figure out how to adjust the transom bar thickness, as in height, not all transom bars are 2" thick. I see now way to adjust this.

Thanks

VW needs to do MUCH better in terms making resources for learning the software readily available.

I want to migrate our firm from a traditional AutoCAD workflow to Vectorworks Landmark because it is the only specific software tailored to the landscape architecture practice.

Many, many firms large and small still use AutoCAD and even ArchiCAD and Revit because VW Landmark has such limited training/tutorials available.

More specifically, I would like to see (and think a HUGE number of firms woul also like):

Free tutorials showing a 'real' landscape architecture project start to finish.

Project should include initial site modeling from a dwg survey, building siting using a 3d architecture model, driveway and autocourt/parking alignment, site design from an imported sketch, Site Grading, Treet Survey/preservation, layout plan, materials plan, planting plan, details full sheet layout and schedule for all plans.

I understand this may be a tall order, but think it would be in VW's best interest as well as the satisfaction of the end user, while potentially minimizing demand for tech support.

Thanks

Agree with comments above that VW needs to provide much more in the way of detailed tutorials.

I think that video tutorials are easier to follow than written ones. Following a written tutorial can be quite painful (especially when they contain mistakes as I have found in past VW tutorials). Watching someone do stuff on screen is a much more efficient way to learn.

Bumping this topic on Training Topic requests again. I’m looking for in-depth training videos on Energos: Specifically, on Workflows implementing Energos with Embodied Carbon In Construction Calculator tools like EC3.

A search of the Vw University portal for ‘Energos’ yielded ‘Sorry - no results found’.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, rDesign said:

Bumping this topic on Training Topic requests again. I’m looking for in-depth training videos on Energos: Specifically, on Workflows implementing Energos with Embodied Carbon In Construction Calculator tools like EC3.

A search of the Vw University portal for ‘Energos’ yielded ‘Sorry - no results found’.

Is there anywhere in the world where Energos will produce data accepted by authorities?

I know it produces PasvHaus but arround here it then takes 2 weeks of training and close to $10k in fees to be say the results mean anything.

• Like 2