Component wall edges showing up in hidden line rendering

Sorry to jump on your thread but I have a very similar question, though I think it may supplement your own. Is there an automatic way to seal/cap the window reveal so that the core components which cut through are contained by the finishes i.e.. so that the plaster wraps around to the window frame? If not, how would I manufacture this and would it need to be done for each window?

Edited by RCrussellUK

Well, the trim should be done by the window, but it's not. I find this a bug, so please submit it.

For now, you could:

- Create a symbol out of the window and create the trim yourself.

- Use an auto-hybrid to draw the trim, so that you can use it in 3D and plan view.

- Just use 3D stuff to draw the trim on a special 3D layer, which you only show in 3D exterior views. In this layer, all 3D stuff you add to correct the views are drawn. (Also different wall colors can be done here.)

The quickest way is probably the last one, unless the window repeats a lot, then I would go for the symbol solution.

Sorry guys I've been misleading you, I now see that it is not possible to offset the trims at all.

I've been using WinDoor for the last couple of years and the trim function in that is far superior, i simply mixed up the 2 window tools.

(Just for clarity I'll attach what I meant however as you can see the trim is in the wrong place for what I wanted.)

None of the solutions mentioned work because I have the window recessed and the trim is drawn where the jamb stops. Which in my case would be the middle of the wall. I've tried returning the plaster to the wall but it doesn't show up in 3D view. See images.

I can create a custom 3D solution but that is very time consuming and needs to be redone every time windows are resized or moved. I was hoping for a simple solution...

Well, the trim should be done by the window, but it's not. I find this a bug, so please submit it.

For now, you could:

- Use an auto-hybrid to draw the trim, so that you can use it in 3D and plan view.

- Just use 3D stuff to draw the trim on a special 3D layer, which you only show in 3D exterior views. In this layer, all 3D stuff you add to correct the views are drawn. (Also different wall colors can be done here.)

The quickest way is probably the last one, unless the window repeats a lot, then I would go for the symbol solution.

I'd really appreciate some more clarification on this.

I have my window inserted into the wall. How would I go from this to attaching the reveal edge trim. This needs to be continuous with the wall finish, not a separate object and I'm wanting it to be shown in 3D and 2D.

Feeling a little frustrated with this, as it's the type of automatic operation that I expected VW Architect would have done easily. I guess it needs to be part of the same programming that cuts the wall and adjusts the cut for the window dimensions?

Edited by RCrussellUK

Windows can be saved as Hybrid Symbols and then inserted into a wall, the advantage being you can add objects to both the 2D and 3D part of the window symbol, in this case an object that covers the components of the wall. (Disadvantage is that certain functions don't work properly eg offset in wall needs to be defined in the window part of the window symbol, so if you have the same window with different offsets in the project you need to create a symbol for each.)

Create a 3D object to cover the wall components and convert it to a auto-hybrid so that you get the correct representation for both plan and 3D views.

Do the same as above but don't convert to Auto-Hybrid instead you create a special class (eg. wall-3D) which you can hide in plan views but show in 3D views to cover the wall components.

Edited by Vincent C