edit group views

greetings

i would like to view a small triangular roof face,a cricket, in more than plan view. i need it to pitch in two directions. i have tried creating the face with the axis in several points and there is always a gap in contact somewhere. i don't believe i can edit it properly without viewing from an elevation as well.

any ideas?

thanks

Not sure about the issue, but to create a 3d face that you can view from any side, use the roof face after you created the triangular polygon in plan view. By doing that you will assign the slope and obtain the real thing.

If instead you are creating it by connecting 3d points (locis), with the 3d polygon tool, make sure you triangulate, connect only 3 points at a time, or you might create non planar surfaces that will show ok in wireframe but not render.

Hope my answer has any relevance to your question.

giovanni

thanks for replying.

i have been able to create the triangular roof face, no problem. but from there i cannot manipulate it to pitch in two directions as needed.[i have a wall that meets an existing roof on the low side of the pitch. the cricket i am trying to create needs to gain elevation along the wall as well as loose elevation back to the intersecting roof.]

i have attempted this both with the 3d reshape tool and by placing the axis line in several different locations.

i tried creating the triangle by 3d loci but this would not generate aroof face.

in 2d or with real wood it is just conect the dots. but this cadd rookie is stumped in 3d.

Whitecap,

This is a geometry question. "Pitch in 2 directions" means that it is pitched from a line that is angled with respect to the orthogonal roof. Find the angle of that line in plan, the slope that you want, and just rotate the desired roof plane (in the XY plane) to the desired plan angle. Then you have to figure out exactly where the valleys lie . . .

I CREATED A CRICKET BY.

DRAW W/ POLYGON, ONE SIDE OF CRICKET.

USE THE ROOF FACE TOOL.

THEN SET THE CRICKET THE SAME SLOPE OR LESS. (YOU CAN ADJUST LATER.

CLICK OK.

DRAG THE LINE OF THE ROOF AXIS, ON THE HIGH POINT OF THE ROOF AND SET THE ARRROW (SLOPE) TO THE OPPOSSET SIDE OF THE POLYGON.

SET A SIDE VIEW AND OPEN GL RENDER.

ADJUST THE SLOPE (ANGLE) AND AXIS Z. TO GET IT RIGHT.

gentlemen,

thank you one, thank you all. i "messed around" with both methods you suggested and with mixed results.

chris your method was easiest for me to follow, but i ended up with a level high point or ridge on my cricket roof.

p.r.your geomtry made sense, if geometry was a stronger suit for me.

ultimatly i slept on it, tried again this morning and used a little from both. my newfound editing abilities of the axis, both angle [thankyou chris] and the concept of "angleing" the original poly [thankyou p.r.] led me to play with the idea of moving the axis line until it achieved the proper split between the two desired pitches.

sucess!and perhaps a simpler way, for me anyway, to get where i needed to go.

thanx again jeff