v2014 crash monster

Christiaan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found the little terrorist. I was lucky, sometimes it can be tedious to find the errant bugger among thousands of others. I started by trying to find out what layer it was on. Once I did that I took the main group of elements and put them in a different file. Then I worked with that file to see if it would collapse. When it didn't I went back to the layer in the source file to see if there were any other objects. First step is to select all and group everything to see if the bounding box goes out of view. That not being the case I did find an object, apart from the main group and by itself which when deleted returned control of my set to me.

That still leaves the question of how some object gets to be corrupt. I always leave the Corrupt command out of my workspaces and yet now and again it turns up. Sometimes I'm not sure who is in charge.

My two bits.

Donald

I have been having more crashes then normal as I work with Vectorworks 2014 SP2.

Most of the Crashes seem to happen during the Auto-Save when I'm in a group or viewport?

I have also had crashes occur when I am zooming in or out rapidly, especially if an auto save is occurring.

As Christiaan noted --- Often it's related to switching layers, panning, zooming, copy pasting, just finishing a save or something like that.---

This can really add up in loss of hours recreating work already done. Easy to miss items the 2nd time around too.

I'm going to try Christiaan's suggestion and reinstall the original version of Vectorworks 2014 to see if I notice a stability increase.

I sure hope so.

Hey, thanks for all of the info posted here...

Edited by AlexanderStudio

Before resorting to a reinstall try doing this:

- reset your Vectorworks Preferences

- set the Maximum number of undos to 10

- change the Autosave to 30 operations

- uncheck the confirm before save option

Also never try to do a manual Save when an Autosave is happening.

Mike, thanks for the tips. I already made the transition back to 2014 Release, it's not that difficult? I always hang on to the DMG files. The stability is immediately noticeable and I haven't had a crash since the re-install. I think that I will also try out your tips as double insurance, ( I hate to lose work). I do remember earlier versions of Vectorworks where high undo numbers resulted in more crashes. In fact, I vaguely remember a time when I chose no undo's rather than continue with multiple crashes per work session.

Thanks-

Christopher

Before resorting to a reinstall try doing this:

- reset your Vectorworks Preferences

- set the Maximum number of undos to 10

- change the Autosave to 30 operations

- uncheck the confirm before save option

Also never try to do a manual Save when an Autosave is happening.

Your efforts are commendable mike, but it?s a pretty dismal circumstance when each new release (or service pack) requires users to manage or adapt behaviour around a catalogue of do?s and don?ts to maintain productivity. Autosave and undo are fundamental functions.

Why have a possible 100 levels of undo, if it should be set to a maximum of 10?

Why have different Autosave options, if only one setting is stable?

Or worse still, why have an automatic background process, if user vigilance is required to prevent it conflicting with foreground activity?

M5d, I'm just suggesting what seems to work best for me.

I will add that I'm not doing projects that involve lots of referencing or end up with huge file sizes. ie 100+ MB

One other thing I do try and avoid is importing too many PDFs into a working file because they really slow Vw down .

M5d, I'm just suggesting what seems to work best for me.

Yeah, I know. I wasn?t having a go at your suggestions, just passing comment on the usual need for user gymnastics as a remedy to gravely compromised releases.

Good day All

My crashes occoured due to trying to move an image into place using the "Attribute Mapping Tool"

As soon as I select and drag the image, it had enough.

Still on the initial version and was looking to upgrade to SP2 until I read all the threads on here.

Good to have a place to come and find answers.

Thanks

PS Back on 2013 for now till all this is sorted out.

Edited by cad@sggsa

I concur that VW2014 is one of the worst versions of VW in terms of overall stability and random crashing. I am running 2014 SP2 On Mac OSX 10.7.5 with 8GB of RAM.

I have found that checking the Confirm Before Autosaving button seems to reduce (but not eliminate) the frequency of crashes. And at least this helps remind me to save more often...

• 2 weeks later...

Look out to all, my new version of VW Architect with RenderWorks 2014 has major crashing problems. The crashing is often, sometime twice in one day. The worst part is loosing work already saved & having to redraw what you already did. Yes I use auto save every 30 min., but what I save in-between I loose after a crash, even though I save often.

Also, not working;

- that shows signs of problems with the program is the eye dropper tool does not make any sounds, but everything else does.

- when holding the Shift key when drawing a line or moving objects does not hold to any preset angle or hold the x or y axis. This works sometimes & sometimes not

- the entourage figures image symbols - gray are not visible, but can select & see the grab handles & see it in the object info box.

Looking for a fix to these problems, I use this program for 50 + hours a week at a fast paced job. Thinking about going back to VW 2013 because it was more stable

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Those of you who chose not to update to 2014 SP1 or SP12 because of issues encountered, if you choose to update to 2014 SP3, released today, please let me know if you still encounter the same sort of issues that you were attempting to avoid:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1235/Third+Service+Pack+for+the+Vectorworks+2014+product+line+now+available

We are having significant crash problems with SP3 and previously with SP2. Hard to figure out why and there is no particular pattern discernible. Sometimes we can go 3-4 hours without any problem but then it can start to sporadically crash every 15mins.

As a general comment we have not had this experience on previous versions of the software and SP1 of 2014 appeared very stable but had some basic faults which were rectified in later versions.

• 2 weeks later...

VW2013 has been crashing with memory full every few days. I suspect it might be caused by opening my library file which has been been brought forward through a few older versions. There might be older incompatible code or commands or plugins. Perhaps, it gets worse with VW2014. Have those experiencing crashes tested not opening older files or using templates made in earlier VW versions?

Edited by Henry Finch

Well, I have been working with the latest build (SP3) for Designer 2014 since shortly after it was released and I have noticed a significant improvement in stability.

I'm working with some large custom home model files (150 to 200 MB), Autosave set to 150 Operations and Maximum Undos set to 10?

There are still crashes as it saves on occasion, about once ever 2 or 3 days, and I do get the out of memory dialog that won't let me overwrite the existing file when I am rendering files and have rendered a few large jpeg perspectives? have to "save as" another file, restart VW and then all goes well for several more renderings.

Thanks again for the info and ideas to help stability.

Working on a workgroup referencing project with sheet and model file sizes of between 150 to 200 MB. One of the sheet files causes repeated crashes on one sheet. It's only the one sheet and resaving the file as a different name nets no new result. The same with duplicating the sheet.

I also saved the file under a new name, removed all other sheets from the file and tried to make the "problem" sheet the active sheet. No success. Can we get a stable 64-bit software please?

Edited by JoshW

I am working on a very large file too! larger than what most of you guys have mentioned. My machines do crash now and then, but not as bad as you guys have experienced. Remember, "not responding" does not necessarily means it's going to crash. You just have to give the darn thing a little time. It's quite a frustration! I know, but I used to bang on the mouse and it only makes things worse . . .

So we never upgraded past 2014 SP1 due to the frequency of crashes users who post here found with SP2.

Our experience with SP1 has been the occasional crash due to panning and zooming and the occasional crash while manipulating wall joins mostly.

Other common crashes are a result of the Out of Memory error that occurs when trying to update a series of Section Viewports or Rendered Viewports. We never do these more than one or two at a time and save between each one knowing we will crash at any moment. When it happens we can open a very recently saved copy and continue to update.

Far from ideal but not enough to have forced us back to the original release.

Its sounding as if I just might get better performance with SP3 or at least the same performance described above but likely no worse....esp if I dump VW Preferences.

Do the current 2014 SP3 users agree with that assessment?