v2014 crash monster

Christiaan

Vectoroworks 2014 has become a crash monster of old.

So often are the crashes now that I have the old problems of preferences that haven't been set because I crash soon after setting them. Or I think I've changed something in a model only to come across it later and realise I need to do it again.

I'm reinstalling the initial release now. Has anybody tried this?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still getting a lot of crashes (although less than SP1 and SP2). Often it's related to switching layers, panning, zooming, copy pasting, just finishing a save or something like that.

Suffice to say it back to the way of old; of always being on the edge of your chair and finger on the save button.

i'm getting more crashes than ever right now...too many to count. sent one file to vss tech support three hours ago and loading another up to dropbox as i write this.

many of the same situations you, christiaan, mentioned above: "switching layers, panning, zooming, copy pasting, just finishing a save or something like that."

working in open gl seems to increase the crashing.

also getting a lot of out of memory messages.

all of this accelerated in the last 36 hours.

The initial release was absolutely the most stable of the VW 2014 releases.

SP 1 was loaded in at our office? and crashes started.

SP 2 came along stating that it had some fixes for certain things? so we loaded that? and now it crashes numbers of times per day.

It's crazy. Just mad.

Why is it that the more it gets "fixed", the worse it seems to get??

We get memory issues? crashes on saves? too many different issues to count. Actually, we don't want to spend time counting because we need to get our work done and these crashes are causing a major loss of productivity.

So far today? about 5 or 6 crashes?.

After the new year I'm wiping VW completely off all our machines and starting afresh with the initial release of v2014.

Now that I've had a taste of it I've realised just how important stability is to productivity. It's now my number one wish ahead of all other wishes. In fact?and I never thought I'd say this?but, given the choice, I'd rather have stability than new features.

I'm still on the original release. I tend to ignore the "check for updates" but today my curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded SP2.

Glad I checked here before installing.

The original release works reasonably well. Using mavericks and at the moment it is mavericks itself that is a bit of a downgrade---in my experience the new memory architecture is sluggish and it takes a lot longer to wake from sleep, and switch between large applications.

One issue that remains is that when the laptop goes to sleep, sometimes on awakening I'll get a message that it is time to save a file, I'll click ok, and it will report that the file is corrupted on disk. It gives me a new location which I can save to and no data is lost but I have to trash the old file and relocate the new one. Was same with VW13 and OSX 10.7. Hard drive is new, same behavior.

Donald

Instability goes back to at least VW2012 unfortunately.

It's time that Nemetschek stop trying to put out the spot fires and tackle the blaze.

If VW was any other type of product no-one would tolerate it - they would probably insist on consumer law protection.

It's got to stop. Fast. Our livelihoods are affected.

Edited by Kizza
  • 1 month later...

J:

I've crashed like 8-12 times in the last two days and will start sending logs. THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS. Does anyone higher up in the food chain give a about stability? Do we have to start showing up at sales events and trade shows to be heard? Where do I send my invoices for lost billable time? How am I supposed to tout the benefits of the software to other designers when I can't guarantee you won't lose money/time using it? As others have noted, this has been going on since at least version 12 if not before (9 was a train wreck).

that said, keep up the good work you're doing on the boards. your a breath of fresh air.

-J

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A few users have inquired how to get to these logs, this is done in the following manner depending on your OS:

Mac:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1092/Sending+in+Crash+logs+%28Mac+OS+X%29

Windows:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1227/Sending+in+Crash+Logs+%28Windows%29

Edited by JimW

now, this is in respect to sudden crashes.

but, a much more common and equally costly problem is the "vectorworks (not responding)" one, requiring a force quit and opening a recent back-up, saving and going on from there. how can we get to the root of that one? i have sent documents to tech, but i can do that every time (uncountable time a day) it happens.

ray

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That symptom has dozens of different causes unfortunately, it isn't enough to go on by itself.

General info/troubleshooting steps about those kinds of hangups:

If left alone to run its course, it will sometimes recover, but if it doesn't recover after 5-10 minutes and a large operation wasn't performed right before the lockup occurred, it probably wont come back.

If the file was saved anywhere other than locally on the machine, this can start happening or happen more frequently, saving it locally after recovering and then continuing on working will confirm if that was the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Since upgrading to the latest Mavricks (10.9.2), VW is crashing a lot. 10 times in the last 15 minutes. The file I'm working on seems to have gone bloooey in VW14. I can open the file long enough to export to vw13.

If I re-import it into VW14 it bombs. If I launch VW13 it seems to work. This file was working this morning in VW14 but now, it's a goner.

I'm using the original release of VW14 which until now for me was rock solid.

Donald

PS

I sent the crash report to tech support along with the file.