Ability to nominate objects to auto-clip slabs/walls/roofs

Christiaan

Question

I'd like to be able to nominate arbitrary objects to auto-clip slabs, walls and roofs.

Say for instance a beam. In the example I'm working on now I have an hybrid object made up using the steel 'Wide Flange' tool and simple extrudes for plasterboard fire protection. Some of these beams project down through the ceiling (slab tool).

I'd like to be able to tell them to automatically clip the ceiling slab where the project through it, instead of having to manually clip the slab myself.

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you think this should be tied to an object directly, sort of how a Symbol has a Wall Hole Component, or would it make more sense as a command that could be run with the clipping object selected?

Something like:

1) Place object in the location it should clip a slab (as an example).

2) Select Object.

3) AEC > Clip Intersecting Slabs.

4) Dialogue asks which slab objects should be clipped to fit the geometry of the selected object, (along with an option for an offset perhaps?)

Well if you have a list of predefined materials with given settings, properties and predefined priorities (that can be applied as wall components, slab components etc), where these materials cross/intersect, the predefined priorities determine what component/object cuts out another. Ie in Chistiaans case the beam would have say priority 1, the fire protection plasterboard priority 6 and the ceiling priority 7: this means the beam cuts out both and the plasterboard cuts out the ceiling.

Basically as explained here:

Edited by Vincent C

Jim, to give just one example of component clipping see attached image (this is using the fit walls to objects command). You can see where the beam sits on the brickwork above the door I'd like the brickwork to fit around it (which it does) but the wall finish should continue up to the top edge of the wall and beam.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10027&filename=component-clip.png

P.S. thanks Vincent.

very nice feature (priority of material in archicad).

For a starter, the 'Wall hole component' should work with other objects than walls. You should be able to insert objects in slabs, colums, roofs,... like you can in walls. As a structural engeneering office we often had to insert for example a wide-flange beam in a slab or column.

We use a label that we snap into a wall and reads all information (material, width, area, volume, openings... It would be nice if we could do the same with slabs and columns...