FYI: Printing from OSX to older unsupported printers

Hi Katie (et al)

Some time ago when we talked about printing problems, I inadvertantly implied I was printing from OSX to an Epson 1520, and you asked me how I was doing that. (given that Epson weren't writing drivers).

I made the first test print to the Epson about an hour ago from VW; and it's go!

You probably know of the "GIMP" open-source image manipulation program that's been around for a while.

The writers have just released (about 1 week ago) an updated version of the GIMP printer drivers and postscript descriptions suite for older printers (which started life as a LINUX project I think?) -ported for OS10.2.

There is an older version which I gather is for OS10.1, but I didn't look too closely at that.

The suite contains a LARGE collection of older printers. It was fairly simple to down load and install, and although the setup is not a simple click-the-button, it is not complicated, and the hiccups I had were all covered clearly in the setup instructions and FAQs section.

One IMPORTANT PROVISO; I was using a "Keyspan" parallel to USB converter, but for some reason the Keyspan does not agree with GIMP-Print. This is a known bug. Changing to another (cheaper) brand worked.

Although it's not a fast print; we now have our full bleed A3 printer back on line for $60, instaid of $1100 for a new printer.

Thankyou Propellor-Heads!

Here's where to go; there's a LOT more at the source-forge site for those who are keen

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

cheers, and good printing

N

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

One IMPORTANT PROVISO; I was using a "Keyspan" parallel to USB converter, but for some reason the Keyspan does not agree with GIMP-Print. This is a known bug. Changing to another (cheaper) brand worked.

N[/QB]

I discovered that as well and I do have a question which I will post on the forum at SourceForge (Gimp Developers) as well.

Does the Epson SC1520 internal AppleTalk interface (option) card work with GIMP/Ghostprint? FWIW, I found out on their FAQ site that Epson's Ethernet Option Card does not work with GIMP at this time. I'm hoping the Appletalk card does. Please post any experience you've had.

Ghostprint by the way is another open-source developed software (and of course OS X, *IX compatible) designed to handle PostScript documents to these listed printers (similar to the old Epson RIP software) in OS 9.

It's probably not as much of interest to you folks but more to Adobe product users, but good to know it's available and free!

[ 11-04-2002, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: hmseiden ]

Techworks, you wrote:

quote:

Ghostprint by the way is another open-source developed software (and of course OS X, *IX compatible) designed to handle PostScript documents to these listed printers (similar to the old Epson RIP software) in OS 9.

It's probably not as much of interest to you folks but more to Adobe product users, but good to know it's available and free!

Sorry, we have neither ethernet or Appletalk cards installed, so can't help you there.

Re the above; The first test print came out as raw Adobe postscript data, and one of the hiccups mentioned in my original post was having to specify for GIMP Print to use the Postscript definitions included in the (seperate) Ghost Script download. I gather that most people would need to install both GIMP Print and Ghostscript.

"Available and free!" Yes!, again, a big thankyou to all the Open-source geeks out there for donating your work to the computing world!

N.

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

Sorry, we have neither ethernet or Appletalk cards installed, so can't help you there.

Re the above; The first test print came out as raw Adobe postscript data, and one of the hiccups mentioned in my original post was having to specify for GIMP Print to use the Postscript definitions included in the (seperate) Ghost Script download. I gather that most people would need to install both GIMP Print and Ghostscript.

"Available and free!" Yes!, again, a big thankyou to all the Open-source geeks out there for donating your work to the computing world!

[Cool]

We're saying the same thing, propstuff. However, can you tell me the name of the parallel print spooler you ended up getting? Was it Orange Micro or some other device?

Maybe, re-reading their web site as I did last evening, the Appletalk adapter won't work. I know the ethernet won't but parallel will. Serial, Centronics or Appletalk are my choices with this printer. I really am getting confused. And then I read about CUPS the Apple print interface that GIMP works with. It's all on their site, but for us poor MAC folks- now cousins of UNIX it's still a learning experience.

Henry

Hi Henry,

when you said

quote:

However, can you tell me the name of the parallel print spooler you ended up getting?

I gather you mean the Parallel (36 pin Centronics male) to USB adapter (?)

It is an "Aten" product, go to www.aten.com

this was not a deliberate choice; simply what the local PC shop had on the shelf. It cost $60 Australian.

Since the original post I've printed more sheets and found a couple of differences b/w the old OS9 Epson driver and the new GIMP/Script combo.

The printer area margin seems to be a touch smaller than the old one and the lines thicker and blacker. This last might be due to re-filled ink cartriges (I cant remember if it was an original or not), or perhaps it is the driver (?)

good luck,

N.

An update for those who are interested; Not all is joy.

The GIMPprint driver for the 1520 is still buggy. specific issues to date are;

The thick line printing mentioned previously IS associated with the driver, not the ink.

The printable area HAS shrunk somewhat.

The driver had a little episode where it would spool, and then there would be a message in the Print Centre window saying "Waiting for printer", but nothing happened. Turning the printer on and off, rebooting the computer etc didn't help. Finaly I had to reboot in OS9 to print the job. After this I tried again in OSX and it worked........??

Printing with the 720dpi"microweave" setting (used by the Epson OS9 driver for "quality" printing) modifies the drg into interesting Modern Art. (!!??) However the 360dpi microweave setting prints ok (but thick as mentioned)

So it's a case of "buyer" beware.

HTH,

N.