File saved in student edition of vectorworks problems!

Hey Guys

Well I have been hitting a major problem after upgrading to 2014. I now can no longer take my drawings back into 2011 and 2013 so that I can print them out at my university. It keeps on saying:

"This file was saved in the student edition of vectorworks. Files saved in the student edition cannot be opened in the professional version."

But Ive always had a student license! Its really annoying both myself and my whole class and university too who use vectorworks. I understand you have to crack down on users being sneaky, but it seems over the top to have changed this around after the 2011 and 2013 editions have not had this issue. Can I work around this or do I literally have to start over with my whole drawing?

Thanks guys

Cee

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. I was working on some files at Uni, using the student edition, but the version I downloaded on the free 1 year student licence at home won't let me open them. This is really frustrating. Is it possible for you to send me the student edition and for me to uninstall the version I downloaded?

Many thanks,

Philip

On 26/11/2013 at 1:05 AM, Garden_Guy said:

Well I have been hitting a major problem after upgrading to 2014. I now can no longer take my drawings back into 2011 and 2013 so that I can print them out at my university. It keeps on saying:

Create the print file from 2014 and print at Uni. If it is a PDF then export to PDF, or to an image file etc. I am unsure why you have to open in an earlier version.

To clear up my confusion: You are a student who has VW2014 at home and you have 2011 and 2013 at Uni?

Not sure where the non student/professional version came in to this unless I missed something?

Also, I am pretty sure that 2014 has not been downloadable from the student portal for a few years so how did you upgrade to 2014 or was that sometime ago? If so then just jump to 2017/2018.

Out of interest which Uni and I am surprised they have such old installs of VW (they should be up to date or at least only a single year behind)?

Sorry for all the questions but I teach at Uni in Southampton and its interesting to know what happens elsewhere

22 hours ago, Philip Smith said:

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. I was working on some files at Uni, using the student edition, but the version I downloaded on the free 1 year student licence at home won't let me open them. This is really frustrating. Is it possible for you to send me the student edition and for me to uninstall the version I downloaded?

What are the  versions?

If the one at Uni is a higher version than the one at home then you should do File > Export > Export Vectorworks....... and vice versa

I would guess that the student version is the same as the one available on the portal where if you have a valid student id you can register and after approval you can download

Hi Barkest.

Thanks for trying to help. To clear up the confusion, I meant that I was having the same file opening issue, not using the same editions as the previous person who posted.  At Uni I am using Vectorworks 2018 which I believe is the student edition as it watermarks all my files. I went to the Vectorworks website and downloaded what I presume is the non-student version of Vectorworks, which they allow students access to FOC for a year on proof of being a student. I was therefore surprised that I was not allowed to open the files I had created at Uni on my home computer. In terms of Uni, I'm at Kingston.

Many thanks,

Phil

@Philip Smith

Ah ok I was not aware you could download the professional version for 1-year. My understanding was 30-day trial so maybe Jim can clear it up.

In the past you could open student docs in the professional version but then the doc would remain watermarked once again maybe Jim could explain if that has changed (disappointing if it has).

Either way if you are still a student then you can download the student version from the portal and it would of course work fine. I understand that if you have student work you want to convert to professional then if you purchase VW there is a discount and you can have a number of docs converted. 

There are a few differences between prof and student.

Finally if you are in the UK my experience of student portfolios for interviews/jobs is that the watermark is not relevant.

http://www.vectorworks.net/education/student2pro

Hi,

It's really strange as when I originally downloaded my software I went to this link: https://student.myvectorworks.net/ which looks like it should be the correct one.?

Also, when I open up Vectorworks on my computer it states 'you are using an educational version of Vectorworks'. My only slight suspicion is that I remembered incorrectly about the Uni version and it is 2017 (which is actually likely).

Perhaps its just that 2018 won't open 2017 files - although I would have expected it to be the other way around?

Phil