Ability to copy wall components...

Patrick Fritsch

Question

1. While creating a new "wall style" i'd like to be able to copy a previously created wall component withing the same wall. See attached clip, when you have the same components on both sides of the wall it's long to re-enter all the components data and even more difficult to keep the naming consistent (eg: 1/2" Drywall vs Gypsum Board 1/2"...I never remember how I wrote it.)

Extended wish;

2. I'd like wall components to be driven from a database of wall components, this way when I create a new Wall Style I could either create a new unique component or have the ability to copy wall components already created. This would help to standardize my multiple walls.

Edited by Fritsch

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1. While creating a new "wall style" i'd like to be able to copy a previously created wall component withing the same wall. See attached clip, when you have the same components on both sides of the wall it's long to re-enter all the components data and even more difficult to keep the naming consistent (eg: 1/2" Drywall vs Gypsum Board 1/2"...I never remember how I wrote it.)

Extended wish;

2. I'd like wall components to be driven from a database of wall components, this way when I create a new Wall Style I could either create a new unique component or have the ability to copy wall components already created. This would help to standardize my multiple walls.

1. Would that be easier than duplicating the wall style in the resource browser, then editing the duplicate? It seems like copying the components would be more steps.

2. Wall Components as resources would be convenient, submitting.

Hi Jim, it's ok to duplicate the the Wall Style but the problem is when your in the wall style editing dialogue box and you need to duplicate a component that's already in it, .

I want to be able to select the component, press a duplicate button and then drag the already existing stacking order to the desired position. Is that better explained?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Im already seeing a LOT of the submissions we've processed since the 2014 launch progress to tasks for the next releases. Working with the community board has turned up way better results than I first expected.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my mouth shut about new features until 2015...

You've already given us so much more Jim, 'hope' if anything :grin:. Much appreciated!

A direct link into the R&D department (through yourself) is worth its weight in gold for us. However I think it benefits VWs as much as it does us because the 'product' becomes so much better, faster!

Not to make your work burden greater but I think I'll go back and check all my old wishes and pick out the important ones and resubmit ......or is that not necessary?

Edited by Vincent C