Wall Classes for Plan Sheets etc.

RCrussellUK

Okay, this is more a case of my lack of experience rather than any abhorrent behaviour of the software. So please excuse my lack of knowledge and help me get my head around this.

I have created classes for different walls, some refer to components of walls, some the whole wall. This is to create correct renders for the walls in 3d where different walls in the project have different conditions. Some walls have one overall render, some are composed of components.

When it comes to plan, what I am after is a single bold line encapsulating the total thickness of the wall, including any components but not showing them (they have only been created for renders and do not show accurate depths of components which are not necessary for this model).

All walls belong to a wall class, each well then has a style which uses the different classes to manipulate the 3D textures.

I think I've organised this wrong, it was done on the trot as I was figuring things out as I went along. What do you suggest is the best way to be able to use different 3D textures on walls (some have layers, others are homogenous) and yet represent in plan and section a single wall line representing the wall thickness?

You can see here my current plan view.

Thanks again!

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Russell,

Try running through the Saved Views of this file. Keep in mind the Fat Line/Thin Line thing is ONLY for Plan View as they will obscure the textures.

One of the Saved Views has just the two outer boundary lines showing.

You MUST set your Wall Styles up to "Use Class Attributes" for this whole thing to work.

Is this what you're after?

Edited by Wes Gardner

Sort of like that.

I just need simple line drawings for the walls in plan, showing wall depth and dimension. Like your 'components off' view in plan.

In 3D though, I need to show an indication of wall surfaces but this doesn't need to be shown at all in plan.

You've done that by entering a proxy 3D wall surface that displays differently for the plan view from the component wall?

I was thinking there would be some way to use classes to isolate the overall wall from the components? To identify the outer limits of the wall object? Or maybe I would even have to trace the wall on my sheet layer with a fill to get such a clean effect? (I also want to remove the lines that appear at some wall junctions) but this would defeat some of the time savings taking plan from model.

I imagine I need to understand how to set up my classes better, to prepare my 3D model with how it will function in 2D in mind, at the point of creation?

If I understand correctly, you want to show a single colour for the wall but keep the component intelligence there?

First make sure your wall is using an overall wall class. (see pic)

Second, in your sheet layer viewport under Advanced you can turn components off and overide your overall wall class to black (or grey or whatever)

If I understand correctly, you want to show a single colour for the wall but keep the component intelligence there?

First make sure your wall is using an overall wall class. (see pic)

Second, in your sheet layer viewport under Advanced you can turn components off and overide your overall wall class to black (or grey or whatever)

Yes!.. it was absolutely the 'show wall components' tick box that I needed, thank you very much, you have saved me lots of work!

There are a few walls where I have had to coincide three different wall types, that retain lines at their junction when this setting is on. I'm guessing there's no such simple way to control these lines visibility?

eg.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9893&filename=Wall%20Join%20Five.png

Edited by RCrussellUK