Wall component clipping problem...need help.

This is a pretty basic recess and it's driving me nuts.

I'm trying to create a recess in a concrete wall to allow the brick cladding of the perpendicular wall to be inset. Methods I've tried so far but all have failed;

1. Tried the push-pull tool on various wall components but this turns the wall into a monolithic solids substraction/addition object and therefore I loose all my hatches etc (this capability with walls should be on a wishlist).

2. Tried Wall projection command but this is not possible beyond the walls length.

3. Tried wall recess command (as shown on the attached pic) this almost works but leaves a thin sliver along the wall edge (even if I check "no caps" on wall properties.

Is there a solution, besides un-grouping the wall, extruding each component and re-texturing (that's what SketchUp is for)!!!

Ok, I mangaged to get this partially working. I used a 3D Loci to to create the base symbol, edited the 3D wall hole component and now I get a correct representation in 3D as attached.

I'm stuck at the plan view clipping as it does not clip the wall. I tried to edit the 2D portion of the symbol by adding a simple square with a no pen outline which I thought would create a mask, but that just turns the symbol into a Hybrid and clips through the entire depth of the wall?

Bingo, figured it out. I edited the 2D component of the hybrid symbol to compensate for the full break through wall clipping.

For those interested see attached results,

I set the symbol break to "full break without caps", created the missing wall geometry with 3 sided 2D polygons and hatch as per wall style, added lines to simulate partial wall caps. Set wall symbol to "no cap" for the edited end.

Thanks for the head start Vincent.

Att Jim W, this whole process could be much easier if there was an option in the symbol "breaks" to "use wall recess depth with caps" etc. Also I think the Push pull tool should be enabled on wall components without turning it into a generic solid.

Wes that almost does it, but check out the advantage of the way I describe is that the top and bottom of the wall can have offsets and not be affected by the clipping.

If you guys could figure out a way to streamline this sort of regional clipping it would be a HUGE time saver.

Edit: Just to clarify, it would help avoid having to stack multiple walls on top of each other to achieve this.

Edited by Fritsch
Wes that almost does it, but check out the advantage of the way I describe is that the top and bottom of the wall can have offsets and not be affected by the clipping.

If you guys could figure out a way to streamline this sort of regional clipping it would be a HUGE time saver.

Edit: Just to clarify, it would help avoid having to stack multiple walls on top of each other to achieve this.

Well, that's an easy one!

1. Create the vertical wall from 2 components, making it look like one.

2. The other walls (horizontal) can be 1 wall or multiple walls.

3. Create a T connection between the walls.

4. Make sure the component connections are correct.

5. It will now be correct in both plan and 3D view.

Doesn't seem to work anymore in VW2014! Did work for me in previous versions....

Edited by DWorks