Bay Window Fun.

RCrussellUK

Here in the UK Bay Windows are fairly regular features in existing housing stock. I encounter a fair few I will need to model. I saw somewhere you can buy a plug in to help with the process, which is a bit cheeky after spending ?2k on the software, is there really no way VW architect alone, helps with this window type?

To use the bay as a window, I imagine I will need to produce it completed, as a hybrid/plug-in symbol? (I'm still only vaguely aware of what a hybrid/plug-in symbol actually is). This means modelling the entire thing as geometry and assigning materials to each component then transforming all into a component right?

If any one can link to a good tutorial or previous discussion that would help with all of this I would be immensely grateful. This is tonights homework as part of a project to show a client in the morning! (Luckily they know and accept I am in the process of transferring to VW).

Thanks again!

Edited by RCrussellUK

I have 3 important questions... I will send one of them to Computers 'Unlimited' and maybe they can tell me why?

Why is WinDoor not available in the UK?

I just watched a video on ozcad... Uk users can only get upgrades but cannot buy a new licence of Windoor??

The thing that really puzzles me, is why this useful tool is not included along with VW architect out of the box???

Very useful it has basically everything we miss in the native tool BUT like always it's a plug-in and needs to be treated as such.

Different reports and scripts than the native tools, opening old files in new versions and the windows and doors cannot be edited.....(at least in my experience, there may be workarounds for this) etc.

Edited by Vincent C

Russell

It is worth pursuing this one. We are existing Windoor users and the tool is invaluable and almost irreplaceable for our work as Architects. Someone in Vectorworks should contact Ozcad to see if it can be made available outside Australia/NZ or better still they should incorporate Windoor into Vectorworks as the tool is far superior for creating, editing and modifying doors and windows.

Eoin R

The thing that really puzzles me, is why this useful tool is not included along with VW architect out of the box???

Windoor is made by the Australian distributor, that?s why they get special treatment.

In some countries windoor is included with Vectorworks, but it relies on the local distributor. In NZ the local distributor has arranged that for us. Other distributor may not want that arrangement, you'll have to ask them why.

Just a tip for bay windows in residential construction - there should be room for a couple of studs (i.e. 3") between each window unit. This is so because window units generally are shimmed and screwed along the jambs of the rough window openings. Windows can then be removed and replaced in this manner, during the lifespan of the house.

So in Vectorworks, the bay windows will be placed in the bay walls and have 3" between them, especially at the corners, where the wall framing would be supporting the bay roof.

This isn't a proposed bay window, it's based upon existing where the frames give the appearance of touching, the junction concealed only by a plastic trim, I think there may be slender wedge shaped stud or something concealed within the frame depth, but it's not evident on the outside. The work we're doing isn't with this side of the house, so luckily we don't need this for more than illustrative purposes.

Saying that I'd like to develop best practice in all that I do (good habits!) and may need this for the future, so I'm interested in making it more correct.

This is not very accurate in terms of showing the junctions or indeed the exact dimensions of the window unit (I have the bay measurement and the window is inferred from a photo).

I placed one wall above the bay, flush with the inner wall, one below, beneath the window, then sitting the windows together as a group on an extrusion for the sill, and a number of extrusions added together for the roof. It isn't really accurate in terms of the model either, I can only get one of the walls at a time to join with the main wall (either the one above or the one below) and the windows are not 'in' the wall, they are just positioned as objects.

A previous version I made was more like what you say, I inserted windows into a wall which was bound to the roof. Thus they were properly inserted and had some structure between each unit. Unfortunately though, this was incorrect in terms of how the actual window appears (and of course we can't make corner windows that join on both sides).

Edited by RCrussellUK

Hi Bob just for correctness in case someone from NNA is reading to revise the tool. Bay or Bow windows can be manufactured as a unit, therefore no studs required to fasten between each window jamb. Check out these as an example http://www.pella.com/windows/explore-window-styles/bay-bow.aspx

As for support of the roof it can simply be fastened to the wall with a bolted ledger. This eliminates the need for posts.

Quick way to do this is as Russell has done, stick a bunch of windows together with maybe an extrude at the angles to fill any gaps, turn it into a symbol, Edit the wall opening component of the symbol and insert into wall.

Guest Wes Gardner

As Patrick suggests, Bay/Bow windows CAN be ordered as a single unit - they are REALLY heavy (the cost of hernia op will vary according to your area :-)

We should be able to create these as a matter of course - I think all will agree they are a fairly common window type.

Wish List...