Need a perspective viewport

Does anyone know of a decent tutorial about creating perspective views in 2012? when i look at a perspective view, it is horribly distorted. i've managed to avoid perspective in VW up until now, but my normal workflow, VW->SU->JPEG->VW viewport, isn't good enough this time.

i'll read or watch whatever, i just can't find it.

Guest Wes Gardner

Another quick method of producing a perspective view is go to top plan view, hit Control Zero, the first click is where you set your camera (like if you were placing your camera on a tripod), the second draws sort of a rubberband line towards the object. You can then select the height of the camera, etc.

I've found a good setting when using either Set 3D View (Control/Command Zero) or a Camera, is setting the viewer or look from height and the target or look to height to be the same (I usually use 6 ft. for both). This gives the least amount of distortion. Having too big a difference between the two heights usually results in those over-distorted 3D renderings so common in the computer world. Walls either leaning way in, or way out.

And for Set 3D View make sure you change Perspective to anything but "Current Setting".

I use a different approach. I set my view to right iso, switch to perspective and cropped, change the set perspective distance from 16 to 24, and then adjust the view with the translate, rotate, and flyover tools. Last thing is to save the view.

For some reason I find the cameras too hard to use. I never seem to get what I want in the camera view without a lot of adjustments to the settings.