Looking for a How To Circles to Trees

Hey everyone,

First time posting in the scary Landmark forum, surprising not that different to the others ;)

As the summer season rolls around I'm finding myself doing more and more outdoor designs and with that come Trees!

Nearly every plan I come across is a DXF that someone has drawn in 2D from 10 years ago, and trees are represented as circles and a centermarker.

Gurus out there, is there a function/tool/menu command that can turn my tree circle into a 3D library/generic tree with dynamic scaling to still keep the dripline of the tree the same and guesstimate the height accordingly?

Keep drawin',

J

As far as I know, there is no tool or command to do that. I think you'll have to do that manually for each tree. You may want to use the Existing Tree Tool to do it.

Scaling trees is problematic, depending on how detailed the tree model is. Tree leaves tend to stay within the same size range no matter the size/age of the tree. So a ten foot maple has 6 inch leaves. And a hundred foot maple still has 6 inch leaves. Not 60 inch leaves (which is what would happen if you scaled it by 10). There is variation between leaf sizes (and sometimes young saplings do have smaller leaves than mature trees), so you can usually get away with scaling as long as you keep it within 10 or 15%. Maybe 20%.

If you use the generic shapes of the Existing Tree Tool, you avoid that issue. But you'll still have to guess at the tree heights yourself (which may or may not correlate to the diameter of the tree crowns/circles).

Edited by Monadnoc

I think i get what your issue is, and no there is no tool that will do that but placing a standard tree object or existing tree will work and scale the "circle to what you need. For graphical presentations I often use the plant tool and un-check the "on plant list" box thus not adding to the new plant tally in a worksheet.