"God is in the details"

Just watched this Archicad 3D detailing video and it makes me jealous, I know it's been set up to look easy and quick but the fact that its actually possible to model details this way is a long awaited step forward for BIM...Hope VW is looking at their own solution to detailing.

Proper design is in the details, it make's a happy all project stakeholders.

Robert, I hope your not suggesting that in your opinion VW detailing capabilities are sufficiently developed as is today?!

What I find impressive more specifically is the all the customization of wall to slab and slab to slab junction offsets (min 1:26), end cap detailing also(min 1:40).

I will not promote myself as to being a VW Ninja, but I have not found any voluntary training material from NNA promoting such a detailed workflow. I very much envy the Archicad Youtube channel training material. I still struggle with my template setup when it comes to detailing.

I'm sorry Robert but i have to agree with the above speaker, ArchiCADs priority based system is regulated by materials, that is a whole different ball game than VWs component bounding system. VWs doesn't even have materials (yet)! In addition to this each material representation can be set individually for plans, elevations and sections and they can even be overriden individually in each viewport......!?

Edited by Vincent C

maybe the focus needs to be like this

please watch from 9:15 to 14:00

the machine that changed the world

with the new graphics in 2014 i think that vw can continue to make the program a "reach out and grab" universe..

so a true test of the software is not a competition where every vender makes a model or shows off its features, but all venders take the same information (like the bldg 150 drawings shown above) and see who can model it the quickest. producing 3inch details with the least annotation required to finish the detail

this would be the real test

Edited by digitalmechanics

Yes it would be great.

Years ago (MiniCad7) there used to be an Architectural Software shootout.

All contestants are given a project to design with parameters.

Every 20 minutes, changes to the project are given to the contestants.

MiniCAD 7 won the contest.

Does the Architectural Industry still have these competitions?

with all due respect. I'm not a fan of dialog boxes

Dialog boxes are a pain, but I don't think that's the point here. Vectorworks is full of dialog boxes anyway, many of which have become excruciatingly slow at reacting to input, irrespective of megahertz and cores.

The way the parapet wall was composed and flashed in the profile editor dialog, looked like a pretty intuitive process to me.

The Archicad wall tool can have separate structural elements within the same vertical plane and across multiple vertical element planes, it can have profiled shapes that would require additional EAPs in Vectorworks, it has assignable materials with built-in material properties and it has an intuitive way to define the structural composition of a wall by drawing it. Even if the process occurs within dialog boxes, it makes the Vectorworks wall tool and its process for defining wall components look prehistoric.

Edited by M5d
Regarding wall/slab interaction, see the attachments. I admit they may not be the best documented of Vectorworks features, but what you're looking at is just walls and slabs, nothing else. All sections and details are automatically drawn, no hand-drawn graphics.

Robert, I can easily do that type slab to wall connection as you show, but what if the other side needs to be different, let's say the slab has to butt on the inside face of the wall core and the wall needs a continuous corbel to support slab edge. Currently there is only one setting for all slab edges abutment...what the method you would use.

with all due respect. I'm not a fan of dialog boxes

I have to agree with your "just model the thing" methodology, as that is what I do when I can't figure out the PIO method, it's a method i'm familiar with as that's how I use to do everything before but using Sketchup. The problem is when you change something you have to remodel every component again, the benefit of PIO is that their supposed to be smart and retain connections to designated elements, which in turn is supposed to save us some editing time.

The model you show is nice but it appears to mainly be concrete massing with a brick cladding, it gets more complicated to model and edit when there are more material layers.

Anyways it's interesting to see everyone's perspectives and methods.

The biggest difference is that in ArchiCAD you define the priority levels when you create a new 'material' these priorities are then applied wherever the material is applied (in any element).

In Vectorworks we need to define these bounds each time we create a new wall or slab, and lets be honest to solve all the solutions that appear in each project we often need an absurd number of different variations of each wall and/or slab.......