spaces and class attributes

ray isaacs

hi, jonathan. yes, i did. the issue is that--in the case of these "space" objects--the class attributes apply to the 2d component, but not the 3d. i compared this with a file that michael k. posted recently and it was the same. is there something about spaces that don't allow class attributes to show in 3d?

cheers,

ray

I must be losing my mind.

I don't remember this post. I don't recall ever thinking about the color of a 3D space object.

But, I think if you use a class texture and in the settings set 3D Attributes > Texture to Class Style it will work.

The Space Object is a parametric object, which is probably why it doesn't take the fill color in 3D views like a solid?.

hth

mk

you are not losing your mind, michael. you posted the file as a worksheet example about two weeks ago--thanks again. i added color to your classes to see if the result in your model was the same as mine.

as for 3d attributes, i clicked almost everything except the textures box. i'll try that after breakfast and post back.

ray

okay. now i know. i was trying to set attributes in the "advanced" settings window, which for some reason was not working. however, in the "3d attributes" window it works, if you set fill to solid (not by class) then color by class. that works with either a simple color fill or at texture (assigned by class).

what i would like to do is within one tool ( spaces of something similar) get the effect represented in the attached image. i did that using the space tool, 2d only, then creating an extrude of the same size with a transparent texture--two objects. unfortunately, if i change one object, i have to change the other. would be nice to use space attribute settings to get that effect with only one object.

cheers,

ray

well, that's why i started this discussion on: space classing

i gradually think the most flexible method of handling of the visual appearance of spaces is to put each space type into a different class.

in your case you'd have to put each space type that you want to have different display method for (*), into the appropriate class.

i can't figure out a simpler method to show the spaces as on your attached picture, though.

(*) various transparency degree, visible or not a.s.o.

rob