Nightmares continued

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a once every 20 minute crash in Vectorworks Architect. Generally crashes when I hit save, or create a new class. The file which I've reset all plugins, purged all ... and updated plugin objects.

I'm at my wit's end with this.

Additional flaws in this project is in wireframe roof surfaces show dormers, in OpenGL they do not show, nor do they show in any renderworks mode.

As you can imagine my week is ending on a foul note. I would appreciate anyone with a magic bullet for this, or even pointers to deal with stress! :D

Many thanks

Edited by Neil's in...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Does it crash every 20 minutes or so even without saving or making a new class?

If you disable autosave in Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences, temporarily, does the crashing still occur every 20 minutes?

What location is the file saved to? Locally, or on an external drive or network?

Go ahead and send me that roof at tech@vectorworks.net and I can have a look. Apologies, missed that portion of your inquiry entirely.

For the crashing, move the file locally to your desktop for the time being an test working with it for a while with autosave enabled, and then again with it disabled. Let me know if the same crashing occurs in either case.

Edited by JimW

The objects that make up the roof/roof faces are indeed corrupt and should be deleted or recreated from scratch.

If you are able to replicate what caused this, or if it starts happening again, please send me a list of what steps you were able to replicate the problem with so that I can submit them.

Unfortunately we weren't able to determine the cause of the problem from checking this file.

Hi JimW I repeatedly rebuilt this roof this morning and finally got round to getting it to rougly display! Firstly, The steps I had done to make it not work before:

(while drawing is rotated in 2D)

• Draw the shape of the roof faces in plan over the floor below
    one by one convert each polygon into a roof face
  • turn the flat roof in the middle into a floor and set the elevation to the correct z height
  • grabbing a window from the Building Shell dump it down into an un-walled white space in the drawing,
  • select convert to symbol (name it front dormer)
  • delete symbol from drawing,
  • set the opacity of the roof face down to a low value so I can see where the window needs to be inserted.
  • drag from the resources browser the symbol of the window I want to use into and over the window I wish to create a dormer
  • Turn roof surface back to 100% opacity.
  • Select the dormer options and change it from gable to shed... boom!.... everything falls apart. Mostly the roof face disappears and dormer remains
  • Re-click on dormer to change a setting, and press OK and both dormer and roof face are gone.

Other observations during this are that once inserted the dormer and trying to select it, the fill and stroke attributes tool box will be flashing like an underground rave! (and usually between clicks is a high probability that VW may crash about 5 times).

My solution:

similar to above but the window I wish to insert I start with making the window tiny... far smaller than the one on the floor level, and once the window is a dormer, start editing the symbol settings, upping the dimensions to suit the one it is meant to be in the dormer.

This makes the dormer more reliable and will not disappear.

~This ugly but makes the thing work~

Once done, re-create the roof face and reinsert. :/