Decompose VW14

Just musing.

Kevin, are you contemplating a wish?

Are these commands named differently in other software?

I think all 3 commands are necessary, each one representing a level of control and a wholly different purpose. Each one performs as named, even though the Convert to Group and Ungroup can confuse the inexperienced user. And it does require knowledge of the commands and a few clicks to activate one or the other in the Modify menu pulldown. Key shortcuts are the way to go.

I don't see this as a good idea, but it might be possible to implement these functions in a single command or in a tool similar to Edit Poly. For instance a symbol could be converted, ungrouped and decomposed in one go, or just converted and ungrouped.

But this would still require decisions and clicks to pick the desired option (via - wait for it - a dialog box!, or maybe a pulldown, or maybe tab through pref modes with the u key).

-B

Benson, I guess it is a bit of a wish. I wish for consistency so that things are intuitive. Right now different objects react inconsistently with these commands.

My awareness of this particular inconsistency started when I was trying to figure out how to "undo" an Auto Hybrid in VW2013, restoring it back to its original objects. I assumed that Ungroup was the appropriate way, since it works for things like solid additions, solid subtractions, 3d fillets etc. and an Auto Hybrid is essentially a "group" of 3d objects. In this instance ungroup seems to be dependent on whether its a 2d or 3d view. None of the objects were 2d to begin with so there's no logic in that. Ungroup actually "decomposes" Auto Hybrids.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I hadn't thought about it for awhile, but it is confusing. I have simply gotten used to which objects need decomposing, which objects need to be converted to a group first, and which objects need ungrouping directly.

Maybe instead of just a failure notice a prompt as mentioned above, where the other options are available.

A sort of "This object can not be Decomposed, would you like to attempt to Ungroup it instead?" prompt and vice versa.

That and a menu resorting.

I'm suggesting that assembly as well as near all these disassemble variations be near each other. Maybe even sub menus with titles that help you decide which to use.

Hmm, I'm sure I don't understand all the fine points, but is it possible for the software to apply some intelligence? Just do what can be done with that type of object?