Tidying a Parapet Wall.

RCrussellUK

This is for the model of an already existing building. It's a building that has been added to several times and so is providing an interesting challenge to model. Luckily I do not need to go into a great amount of detail with it, but the eclectic construction is proving a good exercise for my VW modelling.

(I'm also working through Jonathan Pickups VW Architect tutorial manual which is so far, very good)

Here I have arrived at a parapet wall giving a horizontal edge to the front facade of an ancillary building, masking a 1/8 fall of the mono roof. You can see my problem in the image, I have used a roof face for the flat roof. An un-styled wall, window symbol and a profile with extrude along path to create a simple wall cap/flashing.

I do not need any more detail than this for the purpose of this model is to experiment with future alterations. What I'd like is for it to be tidier. As you can see, where the wall is lower and connected with the adjoining piece it has taken the 45 degree cut up the side of the parapet.

I was thinking that I could create an extrusion to slot in the gap and add solid, but this seems a little inefficient for such a simple problem. Or another wall for the top section - perhaps this would connect correctly?

Suggestions for a tidy way to do this?

Thanks!

Not sure if these would work, the way I've made this is that it's a single wall type joined at the two corners ( L ) and I offset the front wall top to create the parapet. The capping is on the roof layer. I'm thinking maybe parapets should be considered separate walls - I remember glimpsing somewhere a post about stacked wall types? That way the parapet ends would not be dictated by the wall join mechanism applied to the lower wall?

Not sure why they wouldn't. Have you tried?

Seems like T-join should work. Is L-join mandatory here? If so you'll need to Fit to Objects or use the Reshape tool.

Otherwise Repair the corner and end cap both walls.

Butt the lower wall into the parapet wall. Not sure you need to offset the top unless you have some bounding restraints. Just make the parapet wall higher. Play around with it.

I'll give them a go, couldn't quite figure out how you meant to do it, I don't quite understand how I can use T join on the corner? The T works vertically as well?? What would be useful and I think you're saying with the other option, is if the wall was joined flat agains the front wall, rather than with the mitred join... actually, now I write it, I'm sure there's an option to change the join like this somewhere?

I have had some success with end capping to deal with the line if and when it may crop up but I still don't see why, given an L-join, Fit to Objects doesn't work. Especially if wall data is not a big issue.

Do some research in the manual on wall joins and repairs.

That will direct you to the toolbar where modes are manipulated.

A word of caution if precision matters.

Unless it has changed in VW2014, the Reshape tool will not allow vertical faces. It will get you very very close to vertical but if you verify with a vertical line and then zoom way in you'll see it's not.

This is why I recommend the Fit to Objects Command....which does seem to be improving as I have also had success fitting to objects even on the same layer.