19 answers to this question

++++1!

PLEASE The Stair PIO Has Never worked.

Ever.

- Delete all present Stair PIO's and bun the code

- Take a copy of GRAPHIC STANDARDS out of the library

- Go to the section on STAIRS

- Make a Stair PIO that creates a 2D view of a stair that looks like that

- Just make it so that it does not crash and corrupt a drawing, & allows one to copy and or duplicate the stair (sometimes there's more than one stair in a building)

- Allow stairs to wind or land either to the right or the left

- Make the data that appears in a VIewport similar to a Section cut where the Marker is editable on the Annotation Layer

Perhaps a Stair PIO could be like how one sketches, you know, "hey let me draw a couple of boxes or polys where I think the stairs should go" Then similar to the "Create a wall from an object" command the math could be done for me then I can fine tune it.

We grapple with workarounds, poorly implemented tools, lack of stability etc.

Meanwhile the opposition gets further and further ahead...

What really is annoying for me is the lack of a definitive roadmap from NVW which discloses when these things will be fixed.

I don't want to turn my post into a anti VW rant, but I've been using Revit LT side by side with VW for a few months and I can say when it comes to building elements (such as stairs, railings, curtain walls, stacked walls etc), the opposition is way, way ahead.

It'll take 3 VW versions to catch up to where they are now.

VW only needs to fix it's long standing tool issues, eliminate the stability problems, add some much requested new features, go 64bit and you will have a fine program.

Revit's building tools presently are way superior to VW's. They appear to be stable, well thought out tools that work with expected results. Heaps of training material available. The present class/layer structure in VW is outdated and requires too much coordination in it's present form.

Downsides:

2D drawing is not as good as VW (rather clunky in comparison actually, but there is less need for 2D because the tools work so much better. Netherless, VW is superior in this area). Revit LT also has some missing features which are included in the full version of Revit.

I prefer if Revit had a Windoor type tool for windows and doors. If you want a bespoke window/door you either can find one online or you can create it yourself within Revit LT as a fully parametric object.

I haven't fully crossed over yet. I actually have Eval versions of both Revit and Autocad - I will update my sig. But whenever I run into issues, or when someone posts an issue, I often open up Revit LT in viewer mode and ask " Right, how is this done in this program" I will continue to run this trial until April 2014, when Revit LT 2015 is released. (i rarely upgrade mid cycle)

I have decided at this point not to upgrade to VW 2014 (still unstable).

I would prefer to stick to VW (and mac) but I feel there is too much work to be done and not enough commitment (and/or resource allocation) from NVW.

If you need specific information PM me.

Edited by Kizza
It'll take 3 VW versions to catch up to where they are now.

This is the biggest problem. And they're way smaller than Autodesk.

How do you catch up the competition when you're smaller than them?

I have decided at this point not to upgrade to VW 2014 (still unstable).

The initial release is very solid. Just don't update to SP1 or SP2.

The initial release is very solid. Just don't update to SP1 or SP2.

Rather stick with the known bugs in 2012 for now - at least I know what they are and I'm not going to have more thrown at me..

I find the initial release 2014 one of the most stable since i started in v11.5, so much so that i have uninstalled all other versions. The only hiccups seem to be with openGL and rendering, but no crashes or anything that causes deadline misses....